Bieffe 2 drafting table rigidity

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Buttercup

Bieffe 2 drafting table rigidity

Post by Buttercup »

This question is a long shot but I'm hoping there's someone out there who still does art and design by hand drawing.

I have 2 Bieffe drafting tables and I can't find a manual on-line. So far there's been no response from the manufacturer.

My T2 behaves perfectly. The foot control lifts easily, the angle/height mechanism works smoothly, the brake (foot control) holds the settings firmly. One person can easily adjust it.

The Bieffe 2 on the other hand is problematic. It cannot be adjusted by one person.The foot control is so difficult to lift that there is a risk of tipping the table backwards as it can’t be released with one’s foot. You have to bend down and reach in and lift it by hand. The table top adjustment for height and angle is also incredibly stiff, again requiring two people, one to hold the stand to the floor, the other to wrestle with and try to place the drawing surface at the desired angle.

Does anyone know if there some way to 'free up’ the action of the brake (safety pedal) and the action of the angle/height mechanism, please, as it’s seldom possible to have two people available? I've used WD40 everywhere except on the discs (plates?) in case it damages them. So far I haven't whacked it with a sledge hammer and, no, I don't want to learn CAD/Illustrator or Photoshop. Not my thing.
Don Burt

Re: Bieffe 2 drafting table rigidity

Post by Don Burt »

If WD40 doesn't fix it, it can't be fixed.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

WAAAAAAGGGHHHHH! Don, I hope you're not right! Now I'm going to put WD40 on the discs (plates) and pray they don't disintegrate. It's almost useless anyway. Jen
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

So what's the prognosis for the table Jen?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I'm probably going to have it put down. I did get some guidance from a woodwork forum suggesting it may have been tipped over backwards, bending the ram and recommending checking the rams for straightness, as that could affect the triangulation on which the adjustment depends. (Too much information 8-[ ?) All components appear to be straight.

I did contact the former owner who may come over and see if he can work out what's wrong, but I'm not optimistic that it can be fixed.

Thanks for asking, Don.I'll report back when there's a resolution.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Update: the seller kindly came over and was able to release the foot brake quite easily with his foot and, with a bit of effort, was able to adjust the position of the top. (He does have leg muscles like a marathon runner's.) It had been in storage for about ten years so maybe the WD 40 has now penetrated to some of the stiffer parts and the top will become easier to move now, too.

Yesterday, after days of hooking the foot brake up with the handle of a walking stick left over from an injury recovery, I was able to operate the brake with my foot and even move the top around a bit more easily.....still not perfect.... but the WD 40 must be working its way into the mechanism. Much happier camper and will hold off on the 'lift assist' gizmo I was designing to press down and kick the brake up.