Glass/Cash Survey

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

DonMcClennen

Glass/Cash Survey

Post by DonMcClennen »

In the just published "New Glass Review#39" there is quite an extensive survey of $ earnings for those in various fields involving glass eg: artists, business, industry, etc. The detailed summary report will be interesting to many here on this board. My initial take away is: this, generally is not a very lucrative occupation/pastime. A very very few make a decent amount of $ that would support a comfortable lifestyle.
For those interested in reading the full report my copy of Review 39 came with the latest copy (summer 2018 No 151) of The UrbanGlass Quarterly. #-o
"The Glassman"
Judd

Re: Glass/Cash Survey

Post by Judd »

Glass has always been a hobby for me that happens to make a little money on the side. However, with the exception of very few that describes art in general. Few of us become Dale Chihuly or Damien Hirst (god forbid), but if we can make Cool we can make a little money.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Amazingly inconsistent income- fat years, lean years.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I saw something the other day about about making it as an artist. I think it was a book, and I thought I downloaded it, but I can't find it so I guess I didn't :).

Anyway, the first point of advice was, "don't quit your day job".

Dana W.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Happy if the work supports itself...thank my Union for a good pension.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

The basic issue with creating in glass is not charging enough for what you create.
If you charge enough, you may be surprised at what you can earn from your glass work.
If you are not charging what an electrician or plumber is making, then you are not charging enough.
If what you make does not sell, then make something else that does.
Someone who complains about your prices will not find what you are selling at a big box store.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Sometimes you are NOT charging enough.
When I was doing shows, I ran into a situation than I was charging $4.00 for some coasters. One of the vendors told me to raise the price.
I asked her "why" they are not selling now.
Well I tried and raised the price to $9.00 and sold every one.
Who knows?
The other Jim
Marty

Post by Marty »

My first wholesale account's (lo these many years...) first reaction to slow sales was to move things around in his store. Then he'd start raising prices. And keep raising prices. It worked.
Most of us undervalue our work and our time.
I'm raising prices tomorrow.
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

I used to sell quite well with my glass jewelry but large art panels and sculptures didn't sell as well. I stopped creating for more than a decade. i recently moved to China and started doing things again. I did an art market in August and was selling my earrings for 20 dollars a pair and rings about. 40 dollars, usd equivalent. I sold about 300. dollars the entire weekend. I also spent hours explaining my art and process because no one really does glass here.
next time I doubled my prices, sold same amount of pieces but doubled sales. then I got jewelry boxes, decorative bags with my logo made a digital video explaining. and showing my art, I put less pieces on display instead of crowding the table with every design I make, I rotate designs.

the other weird thing was when I sold to Westerners, id focus on that I only make a few or sometimes. just one piece that design. one of of a kind, but for Chinese customers if I said that, they would put it back. if I said it was my most popular. piece, they would buy it.

it's interesting to understand your customers and change your branding and marketing strategies.

I still haven't broken Into the market hugely. but for pandemic economy and restarting in a foreign country it's interesting.

I. guess I hate seeing others undervalue. their creations. creating glass objects is quite specialized, so it drives me nuts to see painters selling pieces for 1000s of dollars and glass artist selling equivalent works for 100s.

I think the issue his people price things per hour, or think I. terms of skilled labor. my piece of art didnt take 2 hours to design and 3 days in the kiln, it took the 100s of failed pieces and experiments before I succeeded. it took lifetime of experience and insight.

so really I wish people would value their creations,
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I whole heartedly agree. Sometimes it is value perceived.
I remember when I started doing Shows, I had some little baubles that I was asking $5 each and was selling
maybe 5 or 6 during a 3 day show.
One time another artist at the show told me "you really should charge more for your glass.
and do not put so many out at a time."
To which I replied "Why they are not selling at this price.
She said Trust me raise your prices.
So, I thought "What the heck. I will give it a try"
The next show. I raised the price to $14 and sold every one.
The other Jim
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

I also look. at this way, even if don't care about money, you should care about your creations, if I sell a piece for 1000 dollars or more, I know the owner will care for it a lot more than if it is only 20 dollars.

I want my pieces to be appreciated and cherished not just bought and discarded.

some business person once asked me how do I know it's worth that much. what does the market dictate.

its worth what you say it is not what others do. I once used to sell stained glass and fused bead jewelry in the 80s and 90s, I sold wholesale to stores for about 3$ for earrings and necklaces. one of my pieces was in a movie, but because I didn't brand my art, or market things, no one will ever know what is mine.

so I think those that actually create original things should always value themselves.

I once met someone says, I don't know much about glass art, I only studied fine art. that was the end of that conversation.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

I laugh when i see a glass jewelry vendor with his/her pendants in those black sectioned trays. They are telling their customers that their pendants are cheap and plentiful.
Sharon (my wife) used to set up the booth and just about every piece was separately displayed. Our backstock was under the counter and we would refill often. Perceived value was everything!