Most up to date way to get paid?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bonnie Rubinstein

Most up to date way to get paid?

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Hi guys,
I have not yet sold directly from my website, so this is new for me. If I get a potential customer who contacts me and wants to buy my art, what is the best (most secure) way to get paid currently (Paypal, etc.) ? ( he asked if a bank check will do) thanks! Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
Joyce Walters

Re: Most up to date way to get paid?

Post by Joyce Walters »

I have used Square for 6 yrs. Works well anywhere you can pull in wifi at shows, etc.
They have been good to deal with and no problems.
But they used to put the money in my bank account the next day.
Now they charge another small fee to do that.
Check Intuit and Apple pay. Paypal has been doing this a long time.
Other artists will have advice also.
Joyce from MT
Bonnie Rubinstein

I will not be in front of the buyer.. they are emailing me; I believe square is an in-person tool. PayPal may be my best option.(?)
Bonnie Rubinstein
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

As long as you have all the info, square is good. You can manually enter. Charge is higher for that..about the same as normal paypal.
The advantage of paypal is that the customer enters the info including address.
Note: fr taking any CC be sure to get the security code AND the billing zip code.
Bonnie Rubinstein

Good info- many thanks!
Bonnie Rubinstein
Bonnie Rubinstein

If they send a check, I could always have it cleared first and then ship, I imagine.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Bonnie Rubinstein

So, as a head's up to all- I think this guy is attempting to scam me. Scammers do this to artists and want to purchase by check.. say their own movers with pick it up and ask for your info. I suggested PayPal a few times and he does not want to do that. He did not ask me how the glass would be hung, or offer details on what his space is like when I asked. So, this all is very fishy, and I will let it go. But artists beware (this has happened to me before) .. there are folks out there who want to get you art with false checks and also want to get your bank info.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Paypal is good, square will work. Depends on how much money - direct bank transfer is very safe but often has a $20-25 fee, so that has to be compared to paypal's rate. Direct bank beats paypal around the $800-900 mark, depending on where the money is going and coming from, as paypal has varying rates for accepting payments from some areas.

Waiting for the check to clear is not bullet-proof, scammers will sometimes have payment stopped on the check after your bank has told you it is good and their bank can pull back the "funds" - meaning they pull from your account if you actually have deposited it. There are a few popular scams that utilize that, telling people they will get hundreds or thousands for advertising on their car or some such tripe. #craigslistscams

Direct Transfer doesn't give them any valuable information that wouldn't be on most paper checks, other than a BIN number. Which only identifies your bank. It's very safe, they can't pull back the funds. I print the bank transfer information on every customer's receipt if they checkout with Direct Transfer.(I buy,sell,repair vintage watches). I'm using WooCommerce software within a Wordpress website.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Bonnie Rubinstein

Thanks for all that valuable info, Ed! Will check these options out.

FYI- I am convinced this was a scammer.
Bonnie Rubinstein