What would you do? Should I pick up the phone?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

shesjustalittletwisted

What would you do? Should I pick up the phone?

Post by shesjustalittletwisted »

Last year when I first saw the listing in the local community college for a fusing class I signed up with my friend immediately. For $150.00 we were "to be given instruction and make one plate or bowl" Cost seemed fair and we were excited! The class was awful. The only thing I can compare it to was back in grade school when your teacher gave you a paper plate, glue and indian corn and said "make something".
For example, I had never cut glass before and chose a difficult first pattern to cut, she cut it, cracked it in the process and said..don't worry about it, it will be fine" Being that I was there to LEARN the process so I could eventually do it on my own, I had the big question...Why is this ok?
She would/did not answer and only told me again not to worry. When we picked up our pieces, they were completely over fired and some had cracked. I have spoken to others who have attended her classes and everyone says the same. She is rude, not a "teacher" and appears to only be in this for the $$. While at the first class, she was pushing people into another class, ours was bead making, and in all classes the class she was pushing was double the cost.

What is prompting this post is I received the class book again from the school and she is in there again. Cost of class has gone down to 95.00 with the same project. I am so tempted to call the college and tell them of this experience.....what would some of you do? I should note that this woman is not part of the college but an independent offsight store that teaches stained glass, fusing and sells material. No names mentioned but anyone from my area of Illinois, McHenry County has most likely been there.
The bad class experience lead me to a day spent on line looking for someone in the area who maybe had a studio in house and gave instruction and rented kiln space. Thanks to this board I found just that!
I found a great instuctor here, Farmhouse Creations, Susan Slack.

Thanks everyone...this has been eating at me for a while.
jim simmons

Re: What would you do? Should I pick up the phone?

Post by jim simmons »

By All means. Not only phone the school, but go there in person.
Jim

shesjustalittletwisted wrote:Last year when I first saw the listing in the local community college for a fusing class I signed up with my friend immediately. For $150.00 we were "to be given instruction and make one plate or bowl" Cost seemed fair and we were excited! The class was awful. The only thing I can compare it to was back in grade school when your teacher gave you a paper plate, glue and indian corn and said "make something".
For example, I had never cut glass before and chose a difficult first pattern to cut, she cut it, cracked it in the process and said..don't worry about it, it will be fine" Being that I was there to LEARN the process so I could eventually do it on my own, I had the big question...Why is this ok?
She would/did not answer and only told me again not to worry. When we picked up our pieces, they were completely over fired and some had cracked. I have spoken to others who have attended her classes and everyone says the same. She is rude, not a "teacher" and appears to only be in this for the $$. While at the first class, she was pushing people into another class, ours was bead making, and in all classes the class she was pushing was double the cost.

What is prompting this post is I received the class book again from the school and she is in there again. Cost of class has gone down to 95.00 with the same project. I am so tempted to call the college and tell them of this experience.....what would some of you do? I should note that this woman is not part of the college but an independent offsight store that teaches stained glass, fusing and sells material. No names mentioned but anyone from my area of Illinois, McHenry County has most likely been there.
The bad class experience lead me to a day spent on line looking for someone in the area who maybe had a studio in house and gave instruction and rented kiln space. Thanks to this board I found just that!
I found a great instuctor here, Farmhouse Creations, Susan Slack.

Thanks everyone...this has been eating at me for a while.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Speaking as the timid, sensitive, shy guy what I am . . . .

Definitely tell the school!

Didn't they provide assessment forms? They should have.

Why let others have a bad experience.

Let the marketplace rule, bad teachers go, good teachers stay.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Gabriel

day late

Post by Gabriel »

It may not mean as much now or may seem more like retribution. If you had a bad experience, you should have commented at the end of the class and let the director of the program know your sentiments. Also, contact your other classmates and all of you comment.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

If I were you I would wish someone had said something from a previous class so that I was saved the money and bad experience. You will be doing a lot of people a favor by speaking up--make sure to let them know that this wasn't just your experience. Try to get your friend at least, if not others, to say something too.
-A
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

I believe we have a responsibility to do what we can to remove poor teachers. It's a herculean task, but we should try - at least make some effort. It's a fundamental principle of ethics that failing to speak against a bad practice is the same as performing it. NOT speaking out is the same as saying it's acceptable.

Geez, if we start going after all the incompetent instructors, we'll never find time to get any work done.
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com
Cynthia

Re: What would you do? Should I pick up the phone?

Post by Cynthia »

shesjustalittletwisted wrote:... I am so tempted to call the college and tell them of this experience.....what would some of you do?
Tell them.

And let them know that you are wanting someone who is a teacher and not a less than competent kiln worker. Be specific about what you needed and expected, and what you got instead. See if you can drum up others who can express their concerns as well. The continuing ed department wants good instructors so they can sell their product. They want to know.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Definitely let them know, and try to do it in a direct meeting with the director so you can express what you've posted here. With education (especially art education) funding as tight as it is these days, I can't imagine any school not wanting their students to feel they are getting value for their money. The community ed class I teach uses confidential evaluation forms for every class. These comments are later shared with the instructors (all anonymously), and, while I haven't gotten negative comments myself, I have had some things mentioned that gave me insight into how I could improve my class. One would hope that negative comments would cause the administration to reconsider using that particular teacher, and constructive comments would be appreciated to help them improve the programs they offer. Since you have been fortunate enough to find a good instructor on your own, you might suggest the school contact her to see if she would be interested in teaching for them; then everyone would benefit.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
quill

Post by quill »

I sympathise. I had a recent bad experience too. I took quite a few fusing related classes at Glass Expo this spring & while most were excellent, one was so bad I walked out after half an hour.

The instructor had no materials prepared, had no handouts, was incredibly disorganized etc. All in all I considered it to be a total waste of time. The sad part was it was a very well known glassworker & I shuld have learned tons. I ate the cost of the class & am not sure it is even worth complaining about. This person carries a lot more credibility than I do in the glass world. I doubt my complaint would be given much weight.