Pocelain disk ????

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alice DeGraff

Pocelain disk ????

Post by Alice DeGraff »

:D hello everyone. does anyone know if i can fuse on porcelain disks and the glass will stick to it. I dont want it to come off. trying to make some small mosiac pieces to wear as jewelery. Maybe putting a clear glass over the top of it. Just a thought. Alice
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Yes, you can. The COE is different and the glass will crack but it will stick. My Mom's a potter and has used glass on both porcelain and bisqued clay.

Avery
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I saw work by a NW artist in a fine arts gallery in Oregon (on the coast) who is actually fusing porcelain inside glass. It was interesting. No cracks at all. I left the gallery puzzled.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Alice DeGraff

porcelain disk THANKS

Post by Alice DeGraff »

I am going to try it. Hey as long as it dont damage my kiln i will go for it.
As a matter of fact I am going to try doing it tomorrow!!! Thanks for the information. But I do have another question.... can i lay the porcelain disk on the kiln wash shelf just incase the glass does spill over??? will doing this hurt the porcelain disk??? thannnnnnnnkkkkkkkksssssss again you fine people!!!! Alice
Alice DeGraff

Porcelain Disk Test

Post by Alice DeGraff »

Well I did my test on the little disks. One I put dichoric on and capped. So far it looks great no cracks on that one. I guess that is because I used little pieces and capped with clear glass. The second one I put some copper bits on porcelain and then put the clear glass on that. I was able to pull that apart but a coating of the porcelain stay on the back. Now this one cracked. Not the porcelain but the glass. Just a crackle look. Still in one piece. The mad scientist is heading back to the lab for more creating
:twisted:

Thanks Alice