New molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cindabr

New molds

Post by cindabr »

I bought some a couple molds. 2 plates and a bowl. The bottom is stamped with........... Do not heat over 250 degrees/per hour

This seems to me that it'll take forever to get where I want to slump.

Correct or incorrect??

Thanks
Marty

Post by Marty »

Actually, that's pretty conservative for a slump, especially if you've got 2 or more thicknesses (1/4"+). I slump 3/8 to 5/8" and have learned (the hard way) to slow slump @ 100dph.

Slow man Marty
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Some molds thermal shock rather easily. That's a pretty slow rise. I usually go 300 to 400 depending on the size. But I've cracked lots of molds too.
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Isn't it possible that you'd only have to go that slow up to a certain temp. Then you could increase the ramp rate.
Just a thought.
~Joanne
dee

Re: New molds

Post by dee »

cindabr wrote:I bought some a couple molds. 2 plates and a bowl. The bottom is stamped with........... Do not heat over 250 degrees/per hour

This seems to me that it'll take forever to get where I want to slump.

Correct or incorrect??

Thanks
the kiln goddess is determined to teach patience i think - when in doubt, go slow, i can get a slump into a ceramic mold at 1150 or 1200 deg depending on which kiln i use. i would rather go slow and get desired results than go fast and give the kiln goddess the opportunity to mess with my work ;P
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com