Summer wholesale shows

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dani

Summer wholesale shows

Post by Dani »

How did it go? Were there buyers? Did you sell? Was it worth it to you... monetarily, philosophically, professionally, etc.? Interesting comments on The Crafts Report board.... am specifically interested in how glass did this summer. Thanks.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Dani- I think they're all hiding, in shock. I stayed home but I talked to several people, some on this board (and they'll have to come out themselves). Baltimore wholesale was pitiful, likewise retail. Philly was better.
Enough rumors, let's hear from the participants.
Marty
Dani

Post by Dani »

What I'm extrapolating from comments here and there, is that the old-timers got by even though the sales were down.... but the newcomers to the show, like last year, were too much of a risk for the veteran buyer. Maybe even more so this year than last because the economy is so much worse now. We were flush enough to pay cash for last year's trip.... this year it would have meant financing with credit cards. I would now have my nose really out of joint if my sales had been punk with that kind of a gamble! As it is, I've changed my product line, my approach to marketing, and numerous other aspects of the biz... and we're hanging in there. I'm even going to do a couple of retail festivals and as many consignment shows as I can handle. You know what. It's like the younger days and I'm having a blast! And for the first time in my career, I'm submitting work to the state fair jury. That's sounds odd, but they actually have one of the better juried shows in the region... not to mention half a million plus visitors traipsing through. You make your own luck, as the saying goes.... :wink: Next year, maybe some out-of-town gift shows again. Truthfully, it would be lots easier to participate if ACC and BMAC bopped around the country a little more.... might be better for their pocketbooks, too, what do you think?