Unmolding glass from mold???

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Unmolding glass from mold???

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi, I have been using a mold that you make a dish out of a bottle with. The outside of the mold has straight sides and the inside goes from narrow on the bottom to wide on top so in theory there should not be an unmolding problem. If all the bottle stays inside of the mold top and bottom of the bottle all is fine but sometimes a little melts over the ends. THis is a little difficult getting the bottle out of the mold. I think the kiln wash is still good it appears to be in tact all over the mold. My question is would a little strip of thinfire at the top and bottom help with the release and would it leave nasty lines. The mold has somewhat of a pattern in it and I was thinking of just using a little at the edges at the top and bottom. I don't want to loose my mold. Could the problem be that the wash is getting old and I need to rewash? Could I just wash over the existing since it is still smooth? Thanks for any help. Nanc
Nanc