channel for pendant?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

wynpotter

channel for pendant?

Post by wynpotter »

I am trying to figure out a way to put a channel in a fused multi-layer pendant to hang on a chain. Should I use a nichrome wire coated with kiln wash , where the wire rest on a base piece of glass and the coated wire is sandwiched between or make up a coil of kiln wash the same dia, as the channel a stack the glass above with the base glass below, or fire my pendant and drill ( seems the harder option). I am firing to full fuse and getting 1/4 in dia pendants that look good, just need to find an elegant way to hang them. I am trying not to glue on a bail. I guess this is old hat to most, but I am very newbe at this Thanks for any help.
wyndham@ac.net
dee

Re: channel for pendant?

Post by dee »

wynpotter wrote:I am trying to figure out a way to put a channel in a fused multi-layer pendant to hang on a chain. Should I use a nichrome wire coated with kiln wash , where the wire rest on a base piece of glass and the coated wire is sandwiched between or make up a coil of kiln wash the same dia, as the channel a stack the glass above with the base glass below, or fire my pendant and drill ( seems the harder option). I am firing to full fuse and getting 1/4 in dia pendants that look good, just need to find an elegant way to hang them. I am trying not to glue on a bail. I guess this is old hat to most, but I am very newbe at this Thanks for any help.
wyndham@ac.net
you could fuse nichrome wire into the pendant and use that to make a bail, no need to remove after firing or you can use fiber paper cut to your desired channel size or you can use a stainless steel rod cut to length and coated with kiln wash.

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

it's done with a coated welding rod, and there's quite a lot on how to do this in the archives.
wynpotter

thanks

Post by wynpotter »

Thanks for the info, will try with next batch. wyndham@ac.net