Tile Saws..

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lorelei

Tile Saws..

Post by Lorelei »

How useful would it be to buy one of the many cheaper tile saws instead of a Taurus. (for now I mean) The tile saws are offered at Home Depot for about $80.00 whereas the Tauraus would be considerably more. Eventually I will buy the Taurus, but right now I've laid out a ton of money in other things, (like registration for HGH!!) so I was hoping the tile saw could see me through for a few months.

Bad idea?
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lorelei,

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Tile saws are good for straight cuts only... yes, there are some people who use them as a grinder to cut inside curves, but they're really made for cutting straight lines. They're ideal for cutting thick glass, pattern bars and kiln shelves.

The Taurus is a great saw for cutting intricate shapes and curves from a single layer of glass as well as for cutting glass that is difficult to cut with a glass cutter.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

ahh.. thank you. The instructor at the bracelet class used the Taurus for cutting the thick glass so I assumed that was the norm. I'm wishing to cut a fair bit of thick glass so I'll use the apples now and get some oranges later.

danke
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
doc

sale on taurus

Post by doc »

:lol: check out taurus 2 on lincolnglass.com.............they are having a gr8 sale on this item but dont have many.....so.......get it while the gettin is good
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lorelei wrote:ahh.. thank you. The instructor at the bracelet class used the Taurus for cutting the thick glass so I assumed that was the norm. I'm wishing to cut a fair bit of thick glass so I'll use the apples now and get some oranges later.

danke
Bracelets are either 1 1/2 or 2 layers of glass and depending on what the instructor was doing (cutting notches for wire wrapping?) probably wasn't cutting a whole lot of glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun