mk370 saw blade... what type?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marc Demian

mk370 saw blade... what type?

Post by Marc Demian »

I'm thinking of ordering an mk370 saw from builders resource. I think they have a good price at $265 including blade. However, the blade is for tile and stone. They say it is a diamond blade but not suitable for glass. The glass blade they sell is about $45 with a kerf of .06. They also sell a lapidary blade with a thinner kerf of .12.

It seems to me people are using blades similar to the tile blade that comes with the saw. I'd like a blade that wastes as little as possible but also doesn't chip. Any opinions about which blade would be best?

Thanks!
dee

Re: mk370 saw blade... what type?

Post by dee »

Marc Demian wrote:I'm thinking of ordering an mk370 saw from builders resource. I think they have a good price at $265 including blade. However, the blade is for tile and stone. They say it is a diamond blade but not suitable for glass. The glass blade they sell is about $45 with a kerf of .06. They also sell a lapidary blade with a thinner kerf of .12.

It seems to me people are using blades similar to the tile blade that comes with the saw. I'd like a blade that wastes as little as possible but also doesn't chip. Any opinions about which blade would be best?

Thanks!
hi marc, i have that model and have the glass blade 215gl and have since ordered their 303 prof blade for lapidary work but not tried it yet. while the glass blade requires going a tad slower, it doesn't chip unless you are trying to ram the glass thru - i highly recommend that blade - i hate grinding and alot of what i cut needs only a fire polish afterwards as it's jewelry components. i pay about $53-58 for the 215gl blade and the 303 prof. i also keep a supply of silocon carbide blocks handy to keep the blade refreshed...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

mark,

Sorry, not an answer to your question, but I've been looking for a good price on an MK (the 100) ... the best I've seen so far is ToolsDirect ... however, for the 370 the builders resource price is lower.

Do you have a web address for builders resource? I looked but there was nothing specific.

Thanks,

Sadie
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Sadie: Sorry, I gave the wrong resource. It's actually Contractor's Depot: http://www.mk-diamond-saws.com/tile.htm. 1-877-266-3532. Shipping was a good rate too.
Valerie

How do you dress a blade?

Post by Valerie »

no shoes no shirt no cutting?
I have read several posts where it is said to dress your blade.
I have just bought a new tile saw, tho not an MK and I have trashed a couple of blades fairly early I thought cutting pattern bars. How does one go about "dressing" a blade? TIA for your help Valerie[/img]
dee

Re: How do you dress a blade?

Post by dee »

valerie wrote:no shoes no shirt no cutting?
I have read several posts where it is said to dress your blade.
I have just bought a new tile saw, tho not an MK and I have trashed a couple of blades fairly early I thought cutting pattern bars. How does one go about "dressing" a blade? TIA for your help Valerie[/img]
i buy silicon carbide blocks from lowes and use it every few passes thru whatever i'm cutting - the thicker the piece the more often i refresh the blade by slicing off a bit of the s/c block...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

Thanks Mark,

Looks like a good deal - free shipping, you can't beat that!

Sadie
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Thanks everyone for your help. I just ordered the saw from Contractors Depot. They also had the 215gl blade and I got the splash guard too since people have said it makes a mess.

Thanks for the Silicon Carbide block advice Dee. I'll check Home Depot since we don't have a Lowes here.

Sadie, shipping is only free over 475.00. However, they quoted me under $10.00 to ship just the saw. Still a deal, I think. Marc