New Commitment

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jerry Cave

New Commitment

Post by Jerry Cave »

Here I go again, bringing metal work to the glass board. I belong to a metal working guild and I'm always preaching glass to them. Hopefully all's even.

For the past four maybe five years I've taken a jewelry making class through the local community college. We call it jewelry making since that's the fundmental purpose of the class. However we also do other sorts of work if desired such as metal boxes made of copper, or silver, anything we want.

My instructors are a man and wife team, Tom and Nancy. She turned 72 last Feb, he's 81. These people are the salt of the earth, just fantastic folks. Toms health isn't what it used to be, a pacemaker was implanted earlier this year. Being commited every Wednesday night for eleven years has prevented them from doing other things.

Tom and Nancy have decided to retire from the teaching job. They have asked me to take over the class since I know it so well. Fall term I become the new instructor. This is a blessing and a curse. We usually have 20 - 30 students. Being commited every Wednesday night will be difficult. Hopefully over time I can find an assistant. New students need so much one on one time.

If you're in this area and interested. We open the doors to all comers.

jerry
Dani

Post by Dani »

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll do a marvelous job. When the student is ready, the teaching job is there! :twisted: A little twist on the old adage. Wish I was nearer by.... my jewelry teacher, who is fantastic, has moved to Portland, Oregon and that's a bit of a trip also. I'm feeling a little like a blind man without a dog at the end of the leash.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

what a fantastic opportunity for you! if i were in the area, i'd take your class, repeatedly. i took one silversmithing class 15 years ago, before i moved to hawaii, and enjoyed it. unfortunately, there's no junior college in my area, so courses like that aren't available.

when i was at university, the course you are going to be teaching was called Small Metals, and people worked in both precious and non-previous materials. i always thought that name was a neat way to get away from the word "jewelry" and include other forms of small metal sculpture.
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Thanks to you both. I am looking forward to this and expect to learn alot. We have a growing group of returning students, I've been one of those. More of a social event. Just can't chase us away. I'd be in the class anyway.

I've taught technology classes in the past. In fact, I taught this class for a few weeks while Tom and Nancy recovered. She had rotator cup surgery, he had an implant, all at the same time. Sheesh. They called in a favor asking me to assist. Can't say no to good friends.

The school is out of touch. Leaving them to find a replacement instructor would lead to closing the class. We need more of this type class, not fewer.

Again thanks - wish you both could be here.