Seperation Of Jewlery And Plates

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Randy W

Seperation Of Jewlery And Plates

Post by Randy W »

I have some of my work in a gallery, bowls, plates and vases. One of the terms there is that I don't sell my work at any other stores in the county. Is that a rule most galleries have? Is that a reasonable rule?
I have been making some jewelry lately, earrings, necklaces and a few pins. It's nothing really fancy, mostly from mistakes and broken pot melts and such. There is a store here in which everything is handmade. I have considered contacting them about carring my jewelry. Would I be breaking the deal I have with the gallery? Are plates, bowls and vases in the same catagory as earrings and necklaces?
I have been in the gallery for three months and they sold two of my pieces the first weekend and not a thing since. And they are having a reception for me and two other artists this weekend so while the gallery does give me some name recognition, I don't know if it's worth staying there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Randy

[/img]
Bert Weiss

Re: Seperation Of Jewlery And Plates

Post by Bert Weiss »

Randy Wesner wrote:I have some of my work in a gallery, bowls, plates and vases. One of the terms there is that I don't sell my work at any other stores in the county. Is that a rule most galleries have? Is that a reasonable rule?
I have been making some jewelry lately, earrings, necklaces and a few pins. It's nothing really fancy, mostly from mistakes and broken pot melts and such. There is a store here in which everything is handmade. I have considered contacting them about carring my jewelry. Would I be breaking the deal I have with the gallery? Are plates, bowls and vases in the same catagory as earrings and necklaces?
I have been in the gallery for three months and they sold two of my pieces the first weekend and not a thing since. And they are having a reception for me and two other artists this weekend so while the gallery does give me some name recognition, I don't know if it's worth staying there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Randy

[/img]
Randy

Simply ask them about the jewelry. Maybe they want to show it as well. If not they may not care. Having a show with a reception is a good thing. Hang in there and see where it goes.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dani

Post by Dani »

If a gallery has an exclusive on your work, it's implied that all your work falls under it. But, as Bert suggests, the simplest approach might be to ask your gallery how they feel about your selling non-competitive pieces elsewhere. Or at that gallery as well. It's always seemed a little absurd to me to have a non-compete on jewelry especially on lower end work. If they're inflexible about it, it might be time to make a change.
Pama Designs

Post by Pama Designs »

Randy,
On the Ganoksin Web site at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/ ... g00283.htm
there's a sample gallery consignment contract that may help you. I think the contract needs to clearly specify which types of pieces are covered by the contract and which aren't. I'd be leary of anyone who wants to have a county-wide exclusivity contract if I were in a highly populated county unless they were agreeing to give me a huge amount of business.
Alice