anyone out there doing glass hangings?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sylvie

anyone out there doing glass hangings?

Post by sylvie »

i make glass jewellery, a bit of tableware and lots of hangings. my problem is tha while i can get really good photos of everything else my hanging always come out with light bouncing all over the place or , under difused light, rather dead .
is there anyone out there that has overcome this problem? i am fed up with galleries saying -oh they are so much nicer than your pictures.
thanks for any help
sylvie
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

um, whats a hanging? rosanna
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

rosanna gusler wrote:um, whats a hanging? rosanna
You try to rustle some of my glass, and I'll show you what a glass hangin is, Partner.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

forgive me, i'm from the u.k!
a hanging= a web of glass pieces suspended in the air causing people to exclaim
'cor blimey, luv a duck, this ere's proper jubbly init!
Dani

Post by Dani »

You mean a stained glass window in a frame? Or like what I make.... fused glass set in copper to hang on the wall? Or a mobile that hangs from the ceiling?? Thanks for clarifying. :oops: I must be more dense than usual today!
Cynthia

Window hangings

Post by Cynthia »

http://community.webshots.com/album/62967227AfKlWJ

Do you mean like these? These are kiln carved and strung together. I refer to them as window hangings...is this what you are about?

Lighting? Joni's was front lit and against a wall. Pretty flat. Charlotte's was back lit with natural light once installed. Dramatic, but maybe not desriptive enough?

I have a guy who photographs most all of my work in natural light early in the moring since his bay door faces east (indoors, yet getting direct natural light). He diffuses the light with a frosted plastic sheeting that's draped across the bay opening and concentrates it with an aluminum tri-fold screen, so he isn't getting any hot spots, but gets good solid lighting. You could try playing with that concept and see if that softens those hot spots.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

um....i wish i knew how to send photos so i can show you guys what i mean. perhaps i will look into that and get back to you. thanks for your ideas cynthia, i think daylight is the route to take.
sylvie