Glass Tiles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deena

Glass Tiles

Post by deena »

I have started making tiles to do the backsplash in my kitchen. I was at a tile store the other day and saw some wonderful 2x2 tiles. They were float glass with mica ans oxides and enamel. They were only tack fused together. The layer of enamels,ect were visible in between the 2 layers of glass. The salesperson said the color was all the way thru the bottom layer of glass. Is this possible with only a tack fuse? Thanks again for everyones help. Sorry to be so long winded.

Deena
Bert Weiss

Re: Glass Tiles

Post by Bert Weiss »

deena wrote:I have started making tiles to do the backsplash in my kitchen. I was at a tile store the other day and saw some wonderful 2x2 tiles. They were float glass with mica ans oxides and enamel. They were only tack fused together. The layer of enamels,ect were visible in between the 2 layers of glass. The salesperson said the color was all the way thru the bottom layer of glass. Is this possible with only a tack fuse? Thanks again for everyones help. Sorry to be so long winded.

Deena
Deena

The color is in between 2 layers of glass. See how easy it is to fool the unknowing. LOL
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
deena

Post by deena »

I thought that it was not possible. The effect was great but I wondered about the mastic getting in between the glass eventually.

Thanks again
Deena
Paulette

Post by Paulette »

Hi Deena,
Are you going to show us your tiles?

Paulette
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

deena wrote:I thought that it was not possible. The effect was great but I wondered about the mastic getting in between the glass eventually.

Thanks again
Deena
Deena

They have to be fired hot enough to seal the edges. 1435º for float glass is hot enough to seal and cold enough to prevent blowing bubbles.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
deena

Post by deena »

Thanks for the info. That would help keeping the edges square. When I get a section done I will post a picture. The best thing is that after finding out what the costs of the tiles would have been at the tile store I can now tell my husband that "look honey the savings paid for the kiln" 8)

Deena