Compresser vs. air tank for air brush?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Bush

Compresser vs. air tank for air brush?

Post by Paul Bush »

I like the look of the new air brush that Brad is selling, but I don't have a compresser, and don't want to use canned air. So, am I better off with a small compresser, or an air tank which, I presume, I could fill up at a gas station?

If compresser, any suggestions re brands and sources?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
charlie

Re: Compresser vs. air tank for air brush?

Post by charlie »

Paul Bush wrote:I like the look of the new air brush that Brad is selling, but I don't have a compresser, and don't want to use canned air. So, am I better off with a small compresser, or an air tank which, I presume, I could fill up at a gas station?

If compresser, any suggestions re brands and sources?

Thanks,

Paul
most airbrush compressors will run you >$140. micheals sells one and you can use a 40% off coupon they run in the newspaper every now and then.

a couple of weeks ago i picked up a 21gal 4.5hp oiled compressor from HF. it ran me $139, on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=47065

btw: i picked up the identical airbrush off ebay for $55 last year. it was only used once but looks brand new to me. if you can wait and like hunting, sometimes you can bottom feed off ebay.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

Thanks Charlie - do you know the psi capability of the compresser Michaels carries? Brad suggested I get one with at least 45-50 psi if I'm planning to spray micas, which I am.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
jim simmons

compressor or air tank.

Post by jim simmons »

Hi Paul, I would think that how much you are going to use the airbrush would dictate which one you use.

For occasional use an air tank (even a spare tire) would work just fine.
But if you are going to do a lot of airbrushing, and possibly some sandblasting/carving in the future, go with a good comprwessor.

Jimjavascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused
charlie

Post by charlie »

my son has http://store5.yimg.com/I/ehobbyland_1731_14181310 for spraying paint on car models. it'll only do 25psi. it's a aztek brand compressor, btw.

if you need more, you need to use a real compressor. a tire won't get you that high either. a spare tank will, but both will also decrease over time as it runs flat. think volume.

note also: during the last b&a class, we had to use 75psi to spray micas. it depends upon how thick/thin you mix it. as avery said, you have to adjust the psi to suit the media, or vice versa. it's just easier to adjust the psi than the mixture.

if you're going to do anything with a sandblaster, you need to think lots bigger.