Now Diamond Drill Bits

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Now Diamond Drill Bits

Post by Melissa Terman »

I'm just full of questions tonight.

I want to know what kind of diamond drill bits to buy for drilling into 6mm thick glass. I have purchased some drill bits, but the diamonds are getting stripped off some of the bits. Is there a brand/type of diamond drill bit I should use (yes, checked bulletin board). What about grit size?

Thank you.
Melissa Terman
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Now Diamond Drill Bits

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Melissa wrote:I'm just full of questions tonight.

I want to know what kind of diamond drill bits to buy for drilling into 6mm thick glass. I have purchased some drill bits, but the diamonds are getting stripped off some of the bits. Is there a brand/type of diamond drill bit I should use (yes, checked bulletin board). What about grit size?

Thank you.
If small tripple ripples if big core but U need centre feed thingy with those

http://www.hisglassworks.com/pages/drills.html

Look 4 recent post on drilling holes
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Melissa,

If you're stripping the diamonds off your bits, it's probably technique related. Are you drilling hand-held or in a drill press? The technique is to almost tap the bit into the glass and through a pool off water. Build a dam around our hole with the rope-style window caulk or with electrician's duct seal and fill it with water. Tap the bit on the glass allowing the water to flow into the hole after every tap. Brian is right, for small holes, you can use the triple ripple bits or the small core drills from HIS Glassworks. For larger holes, use core drills. Some of the larger bits require the water feed attachment $$$ for the drill press. If they have a standard shank, use them with a dam like I described above, or, if the piece is small enough, place it in a shallow tupperware type container with a piece of foam wrap on the floor to keep you from drilling through the container after you break through the glass. Fill with water until it is over the surface of the glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tony Smith wrote:Melissa,

If you're stripping the diamonds off your bits, it's probably technique related. Are you drilling hand-held or in a drill press? The technique is to almost tap the bit into the glass and through a pool off water. Build a dam around our hole with the rope-style window caulk or with electrician's duct seal and fill it with water. Tap the bit on the glass allowing the water to flow into the hole after every tap. Brian is right, for small holes, you can use the triple ripple bits or the small core drills from HIS Glassworks. For larger holes, use core drills. Some of the larger bits require the water feed attachment $$$ for the drill press. If they have a standard shank, use them with a dam like I described above, or, if the piece is small enough, place it in a shallow tupperware type container with a piece of foam wrap on the floor to keep you from drilling through the container after you break through the glass. Fill with water until it is over the surface of the glass.

Tony
A couple of points. There are core drills that can be used without the central water feed, simply a dam like Tony describes. Therre are 2 tips to making drill bits last longer that I know. First is use a drill press. The bits seem to wear out really fast in a hand held. besides once the water clouds up with glass dust, it is nearly impossible to find the hole if hand holding. Another tip I have found out about recently is to use diamond coolant. The stuff I buy uses about a teaspoon per quart of water.

I buy my drill bits, drill press, and coolant from CR Laurence 800-421-6144 california.

I don't buy the cheapest line of diamond drills an more as they wear out way too fast. I now have a dressing stone to sharpen them up.

Bert
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

I use diamond bits a lot although not drill bits. Unless you have a 'sintered' bit, the diamond dust is glued onto the base metal. If you are losing the diamond, it is as Tony says, technique related. Slow down. Diamond bits work better at slow speeds and last longer. When they get too hot the glue that holds the diamond dust onto the bit fails. Using water or a coolant if you can does help keep the heat down.

Ellen
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

Bits will definitely last longer with a coolant/lubricant rather than just plain water. Some commercial glass shops use a mixture of water and antifreeze, but I have some core drills that came with instructions not to use antifreeze with them. If you do use antifreeze, make sure it's kept away from children or pets. In any event, the coolant/lubricant is inexpensive and a good investment. Another simple way to make a dam is to use an old bearing race as these are flat enough that the fluid won't leak out from under the edges. An automotive wheel bearing race is good; for larger ones, talk to someone who works on farm or construction machinery.
Lia Howe

Diamond drilling

Post by Lia Howe »

I have just spent the last 4 hours drilling holes. It is a slow,sllooowwww, process. You can't rush. I tried and ,you guessed it ,glass broke. My husband also tried to "Tim Taylor" my process. Yup, glass broke. I use a drill press. I use a tupperware container with a piece if wood in the bottom with large holes drilled in it. I fill the container with enough water to cover the glass and a way I go. I also use a drill bit from Glastar. I run a stained glass supply store. The bit drills a small hole first then the bigger diameter. Works well. Lasts okay. Same rules apply,KEEP IT COOL AND SSSLLLOOOOWWW.Lia
tom suter

Post by tom suter »

I use my flex shaft that fits on my glass grinder. I buy some cheap diamond bits 2.50 for either 1.5mm or 2.5 mm. I can usually drill 30 or more holes no problem. These are not spade bits for a drill press. I use a tupperware container with a piece of glass on the bottom and about 2" of water. Start the hole at a 45 deg angle and then straighten the bit up. I sometimes have to drill 30 holes at a time for my windchimes. I have not had anything break. :P
LesleyNolan

Post by LesleyNolan »

Just thought I would add a little tip. Instead of wood or glass under the glass you are drilling into, try a piece of styrofoam. I just use the stuff that comes in my glass crates. It cushions the glass and doesn't do any further harm to the drill bit. I also use plasticine clay like a fimo type thing for my dams. Actually any clay that sticks well will work.
Good luck
Lesley
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

thank you all. You've really helped me. Tried your suggestions and voila, they worked.
Melissa Terman