New Shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mira

New Shelf

Post by Mira »

Hi all!

I got a new kiln shelf - all is well - worked great. However, on my old shelf, I had no problem scraping off the kiln wash to apply new. This isn't the case on my new shelf - doesn't scrape off well at all. I can get most off, but am still left with a thin layer.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Mira
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I believe it was Brock that I learned this from--warm water and a cloth.
Amy
charlie

Post by charlie »

leave it on? there's no harm if it's well bonded to the shelf. you're just going to wipe on more to cover it anyway
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Here are some suggestions....

Use a cut piece piece of glass to scrape it off...

Use a piece of wall board sanding paper and lots of elbow grease to sand it off.

Go outside, wear a respirator, and use a hand size power sander and sandpaper to sand it off.

Get it damp and scrape the kilnwash off with a large metal scraping tool normally used in applying wallpaper or scraping paint. Be careful not to gouge the shelf; it's easy to do with one of these metal tools.

Hope one of these owrks for you...been there, done them all in different situations and levels of stuck kilnwash.

Geri