Repairing Odd Shaped Piece Of Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Repairing Odd Shaped Piece Of Glass

Post by Randy W »

A friend came to me this weekend with a request. He has a fairly valuable insulator but it has a couple of large cracks in it which reduces the value significantly. The picture below isn't the exact piece but shows the type of damage I'm talking about.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/74dodg ... m/&.view=t

He was wondering if I could "heat it up and melt it together". What we came up with was filling a container with plaster/silica mixture and submurging the piece is it. When it dries, place it in the kiln and fire it using a schedule for 3/4" thick glass.

Will this work? I'll try it with a less valuable insulator first. Has anyone done anything similar to this before?

Thanks, Randy
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Randy:
I can't get the link to work - not sure I can help anyhow, but did want u to know the link gives an error message.
Kim
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I also can't see the piece, but I suspect that if you do this, if it actually works, if nothing else, the surface will not be the same as the original. You'll have to do alot of cold-working to get it back the way it was.

Geri
charlie

Post by charlie »

heating an insulator removes all value from it. that's a common scam to artificially age an insulator.

it'll be more valuable cracked than repaired.
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I went to my yahoo account and checked the box that lets everyone view the picture. So maybe the link will work now.

Brad, how expensive would it be for you to host pictures? :)

Randy