Air compressor for air brush

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Geri Comstock

Air compressor for air brush

Post by Geri Comstock »

I've already looked through the archives for this topic and the latest posts I found were made back in April.

Do anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive air compressor for running an airbrush? I want it to run on regular household current. I understand the oil less ones are loud. What should I look for? Are there good brands and brands to avoid?

Thanks -

Geri
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Hi Geri, they are all pretty much the same. But it would be good to have at least a horse and a half to two horse. And the quieter the better. That will matter. Quiet will matter - alot. The larger the tank you have the less the compressor will run and the less you will hear it. You will also need an inline regulator to regulate the air for more control of your airbrush and an inline moisture trap. Hope this helps. charles
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Geri,

The $99 compressor at Home depot works just fine for an airbrush inclusing the Aztek at 50 psi with micas... the little pancake compressors work well too, but more money, and more compressor than you need for just airbrushing.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Thanks guys! As soon as the airbrush arrives, I'll be at Home Depot to get the compressor. YAY! New toys, oops, I mean tools. LOL.

Geri
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i got the 99$ home depot one. it is red. it is quiet. it will also fill your tires.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Is there a compressor that can run both an Air Brush and a Sandblaster without costing too much?
Brock

Post by Brock »

No. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

If the compressor will run a blaster it will run an airbrush. Just turn down the pressure at the regulator.

The converse is not true.............................Jim