Silica cloth

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jean ujifusa

Silica cloth

Post by jean ujifusa »

Another Silica cloth report. :) :) just finished testing 3 samples from auburn
inc.with great results.
Wondering if any of you have tested it with other results.
Matt says he will sell it by the yard if one person takes order for others,there will be a 10% increase for less than a full role purchase.
cloth is 36"wide and there are 50 yds on a roll.
ju
ju
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I've had very good results with about 12 full-fuse firings before the cloth gives up. Marty Daily at Centre DeVerre is interested in bulk purchasing and distributing the fabric.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
jean ujifusa

Post by jean ujifusa »

Hi Tony,
Have you tried Refrasil?

I've been using that for about 12 full fuse,but its not giving up and a friend who gave it to me and does alot of full fuse production work has been using a large piece 20 x 40 and 1/8th thick.everyday since Jan and finds it just shrinks a little.
Same price point about $20.00 a yard.
thanks ju
ju
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jean,

I haven't tried Refrasil. The only reason I got only 12 firings out of the piece was because it tore when I was removing it from a piece of glass. Where did you buy the refrasil?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
cemoore

Post by cemoore »

Any suggestions regarding how to keep the cloth laying flat in the kiln? Do heavy kiln posts work? I think I heard Tony remark about this one time (re amisil products) but don't recall the outcome. I have used cut pieces under a full fuse and it pulled the entire piece up into a curl, which promptly broke from the stress -- and I haven't tried again since. Otherwise I liked the effect.

Cathy
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Cathy,

I weight all 4 edges down with dams (cut up kiln shelf) that are about 3/4" x 1" x 15". I haven't had it curl since I started doing that.

Tony
jean ujifusa

Post by jean ujifusa »

Hi Tony,
E J Bartell sells Refrasil.
It won't warp the glass or tear apart.
ju
ju