Slumping smaller circle in larger mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lisa W.

Slumping smaller circle in larger mold

Post by Lisa W. »

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance in slumping a smaller circle into a larger mold. I have a 15" dia. x 5" deep bowl. ceramic, and and want to slump an 11.5" dia. piece of fused float, 3/8thick into it. I have a good vacum cup to set it down into the mold and I will level it. Any pros and cons would be great.
Thanks Lisa W
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Shouldn't be any problems at all. If you like the shape, go for it.

Ron
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Lisa,

I've done this many times when I needed a specific "bottom" to hold pillar candles, but didn't need the large sides which the large mold would provide.

It works.

Judy
Carol

Post by Carol »

This has worked for me also. Placing the fused disk into the mold can be done without a suction cup too. Center it in the mold as follows: Balance the disk on the fingertips of your left hand, right side down, then lower the mold upside down over the disk with your right hand, eyeballing for level. Hold the disk and mold together and flip over.

Carol
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lisa

2 things: Use a bubble level to make sure the glass is level. If you use the suction cup, be sure to clean the glass after the cup has been removed. I have fired glass and seen the suction cup marks permanently fired in.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lisa W.

Post by Lisa W. »

Thanks All,
I did remember to clean after I took off the suction.
This won't be as deep as I want in the future but it is a practice piece, for future sinks. I will drill a 1 1/2" hole in the bottom when done, with my new tri pod drill.
Ain't life great*Lisa
Lisa W.

The test sink

Post by Lisa W. »

Okay all,
Here is the test sink I did and thank goodness it was just a test.
2-3/8" float fused at 1420 --held 20min. annealed. Came out 11 1/2" dia. by 1" thick.
edges did not join totaly. And you can see where in the center there is some air.
Slumped
250--1000
450--1200-hold 30
450--1350-hold 20
999--1000-hold 4hr 30m.
22--900
57--700
115--300
Came out 10 5/8" by 1 1/2".
Edges still not joined and have a little devit.
Next time when I do a deeper slump, I do not think it will help the edges???
Do not have lap polisher. Do not want to get a sink polished by someone else each time I do make one.
Here are some pixs of my problem.
Thanks for reading.
Lisa w http://community.webshots.com/user/bewegirl
Cher

test sink

Post by Cher »

I was planning on fusing and then slumping, but it dosn't look like you really need to.
keep us posted on your progress, I've prepped for months, set up a real slow shedule (like days ) and then the kiln switch quit as I was starting the actual fire! :(
Waiting weeks for new kiln and months for kiln reapir on sickie,, could really use some encouragement, like sucess for you! :D

Yo
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Lisa.....your pictures are great.....I am new to this so have alot of questions...When you do the pattern bars that you have cut, and lay them out in the kiln, do you have to put a clear sheet of glass underneath the bars????? If not, do you have any areas that do not fuse together or is this not a problem because of the pattern bars being so thinck??????
Lisa W.

Post by Lisa W. »

Thanks Yo- I will keep ( YO ) posted, I couln't resisit. Test firing today and will have more results later.
The pattern bars where layed onto a 3mm cl. glass.They where not exactly square and i did not want spaces inbetween. Also I was going to drap this pretty long so I need the thickness.
Love doing the color bars** so much scrap adds up.
Lisa W