Sandblasting resist?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael McNerney

Sandblasting resist?

Post by Michael McNerney »

Does anyone know where I can find this resist or have a recipe for it

Ron Coleman, if your out there, can you tell me where to find this stuff in the city?

Thank you

Michael
artglass101@hotmail.com
Ron Coleman

Re: Sandblasting resist?

Post by Ron Coleman »

Michael McNerney wrote:Does anyone know where I can find this resist or have a recipe for it

Ron Coleman, if your out there, can you tell me where to find this stuff in the city?

Thank you

Michael
artglass101@hotmail.com
Which resist? Franklin Art Glass sells the greeen stuff by the foot. If you're looking for clear, I haven't found it locally, but CR Loo sells it.

Ron
Michael McNerney

Thanks Ron
Michael
Wallace Venable

What kind of resist? How much?

Post by Wallace Venable »

If you want a useful response you should provide more information:

Liquid or sheet?
Photo or hand cut or machine cut?
Wholesale or hobby quantities?

For a lot of simple jobs, Contac "shelf paper" works just fine and is probably locally available.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Michael McNerney

Wally,
I would have been more specific if I had known what exactly it was. I have heard this stuff mentioned before but have never actually seen or used a sheet of it. :roll:
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

I used contact shelf pasper exclusively for 27 years for surface work and carving. They changed the formula last year. I would not recommend it even for surface work. The edges wrinkle and fray terribly now and the nice clean sharp edges I used to get are now compromised, especially if you want to go below the surface. I had to switch to one of the products made especially for sandblasting and it's costing me three times as much.

Ellen
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

There are a few really good resists on the market. The most readily available is probably the Venturetape 4 mil clear or white vinyl. It sells for about $1/ sq ft and you can buy it from your local stained glass supplier or Warner-Crivellaro, one of the board sponsors http://www.warner-criv.com.

Another is Anchor Continental 128 which is an 18 mil thick rubber resist. It cuts beautifully with an X-Acto knife and is good for etching or carving. You should be able to have your local glass supplier or abrasive dealer order it for you. It sells for about $1.25/sq ft.

Another is 3M Buttercut. It sells for about $2/sq ft and can be 45 mils thick depending on the part number. It cuts easily and is made for carving, but works fine for etching as well. Commonly used by the folks that carve gravestones, it should be available from your local abrasive distributor.

Another is Hartco vinyl. It cuts easily and some people swear by it. It's in the $1.50/sq ft price range. You can check abrasive suppliers, but I know it's available online from http://www.signwarehouse.com as it can also be cut by computerized knife plotter.

Sign vinyl can also be used, but can be more difficult to use... especially if you get the stuff with the permanent adhesive. Signwarehouse sells Oracal 641 for about $15 for a 24" x 10 yard roll (making it about $0.50/sq ft). It holds a line really well and has a temporary adhesive which peels off the glass easily. Be wary of other sign vinyls unless you are willing to experiment since many of them have very strong adhesives that will only come off the glass if you use heat. The downside is that it's only about 2 3/4 mils thick, so it can only be used for etching, although I can easily get a 1/16" deep etch without burning through the edge.

You can try contact paper (the clear vinyl kind) but it can leave an adhesive residue if left on the glass too long. People that use it regularly swear by it, but keep track of where you got it and a brand name if possible as there are numerous manufacturers, and they don't all behave the same.

I hope this information helps.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Michael McNerney

Thank you Toney,
That is exactly the information I was looking for.

THANK YOU :wink: THANK YOU :wink: THANK YOU :wink:
Wallace Venable

Photo-Resists

Post by Wallace Venable »

There are also a variety of photo-sensitive resists. I bought some, but haven't got to trying it yet.

These are typically used for making awards and trophies.
http://www.photobrasivesystems.com
is one source of information.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

For regular sandblasting, contact paper works okay. One brand that does not leave a bunch of adhesive on the glass is Magic Cover. Home Base used to carry it; don't know if they still do. I cannot remember the name of the manufacturer, but Jacques Bordeleau bought a bunch of it directly from them, so you could probably send him PM to find out details.

For blasting with harsher abrasives, you should use a sandblasting resist. I bought a large roll of it from Mad Dog Stained Glass Supply, 7122 Gerald Ave. Van Nuys, CA 91406, Telephone: 1-818-782-1514. They have very reasonable prices.