kiln controllers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

hazelnut_s

kiln controllers

Post by hazelnut_s »

Hi-
I'm a new artist and currently in the process of researching for a new kiln to buy. I do mainly glass fused jewelry and small decorative objects. Anyways, since I'm just starting out, I have a very limited budget on what I can spend on a kiln (and ouch! Glass is pretty expensive too!)

I read info on the differences between infinite switch and digital controllers. But I haven't found much discussion in archive. Can someone please shed some insight in terms of how easily the dig. controller will make my life?? Is it worth the $100-150 extra investment on the kiln? I'm looking to spend up to about $500 and am looking at primarily a Jen Ken or possibly Skutt.

Thank you so much!
EK
San Francisco, CA
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

If you can babysit your kiln for every firing, have a good pyrometer, are good at record keeping and will mainly be doing onesies then you can get by without a controller, or to put it another way, you will be the human kiln controller. If you want to fire unattended, do some kind of production, and are averse to copious note taking then a non human (digital) controller it is. Personally, I would not go back to my pre digital days for a tank car full of good kiln wash.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Tony Serviente wrote:If you can babysit your kiln for every firing, have a good pyrometer, are good at record keeping and will mainly be doing onesies then you can get by without a controller, or to put it another way, you will be the human kiln controller. If you want to fire unattended, do some kind of production, and are averse to copious note taking then a non human (digital) controller it is. Personally, I would not go back to my pre digital days for a tank car full of good kiln wash.
In my humble opinyon, There is still a real need to look and take a LOT of notes even with a controler.

Justmeboyu(jim) :)
Brock

Post by Brock »

In my humble opinyon, There is still a real need to look and take a LOT of notes even with a controler.

Justmeboyu(jim)

Amen Jim. Unless you're doing exactly the same thing, with all the exact parameters, fusing is not a set and forget process/ Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I finally gave in and bought a controller and now have another long learning curve. I started out without one because of the expense and I'm glad I did. I think you learn how glass behaves under heat better without the controller.

I agree with Jim and Brock that the controller does not absolve you from taking notes and observing your firing. A controller, as Brock points out, is great for production work. It is also a necessity (or nearly so) if you want to do thick pieces and castings which require incredibly long anneals. (That's why I got one.)

I think the famous quote is, "I don't need no stinkin' controller".

The Hobbyist......................................Jim
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I second Jim and Brock. I take notes, digital shots, and put it all in an Access database, and I use controllers exclusively. I would characterize my approach as not set and forget, but as remember and set. The remembering is gray matter augmented with records, the set part of it is determined by the synthesis of records and experience. Doing it this way has allowed me to do almost all of my firings unattended, and even when trying new work the data I have collected gives me a good shot of coming close to my goal within a few firings or less. While I am a data junkie, I have seen folks with very indifferent record keeping habits do some great work, reinventing the wheel and all. For those with that bent, a controller can reduce some of the variables and perhaps keep more glass out of the landfills.
Liam

Post by Liam »

My life before a controler:

Sit on a stool for 2 to 5 hours, taking notes, making calculations to achieve 200 deg/hr. Readjusting the infinite switch to stay at that rate, recalculating, readjuting, recalculating, peeking in the kiln, make calculations. Gee this stool is hard.....

After controler:
set the controler, go wash the dishes, do some laundry, fix the toilet, make dinner, play some freecell, peek in the kiln, make coffee, check my stocks. read my mail, hear the alarm, vent the kiln.

I think you will learn alot by not using a controler, I did, but that gets old fast. My recomendation is don't buy the controler just yet. Do about 10 or 20 firings without it to learn how your kiln behaves. Once that's learned buy a stand alone controler and plug your kiln into it.
Liam