Which grinder should I get?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bea

Which grinder should I get?

Post by Bea »

Hi everyone

I am looking for a grinder which I can use to smoothen the bits of glass before fusing and then to finish after fusing. I am only working with small bits of glass for jewellery pieces.

I would also like to try stacking sheets of different colours to create layered glass stacks and then cut them up (probably also to be refused).

I would also like to use the saw to cut standard pieces of rod to use in fusing as my rod nippers are okay but I find them clumsy for this purpose.

I have been looking at the Inland swaptop grinder/table saw.

Any comments? Or suggestions for a first grinder/saw?

I am unable to get to any sort of shop which sells this sort of equipment as we are on a remote island so any internet referesnces/links would be a great help.

Thanks
Bea

PS I use only Moretti sheet glass and rods (if that makes any difference).
Simply Bea Beads
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Bea, it looks like the Inland swap top machine should do what you say you want. The 6 1/2" saw blade will cut a maximum of 1" thickness. For the diamond saw you would also have to order the Water Drip Add On Kit to supply clean water to the saw. Do be sure to order any Inland product with the proper voltage, ac cycles and plug for your local electric supply. Inland has a nice web site with information about all their tools at http://www.inlandcraft.com/

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Aryana B. Londir

Post by Aryana B. Londir »

I have an Inland TwinSpin which is a disc grinder/bit combination unit for less than a year. I have had nothing but problems with it. Inland's customer service dept. is good but the machine has been in the shop twice thus far....leaving me without a grinder for at least two weeks each time. I would not recommend buying a combination unit and would look at other brands prior to making a committment. I wish I had done more research on this brand as other brands get higher recommendations from artists. Just my experience...........