Photos on glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peggy C

Post by Peggy C »

Being a jeweller and a photographer, I've also wondered about how to put pictures on glass. Your question got me thinking, so I tried something...

I started with a base of black glass, glued a smaller square of fibre paper on it with the paper sticking out of the top edge. The size of the fibre paper would be the size of your photograph. Then I capped this with clear glass. Oh yeah, I also decorated the edges of the black glass with stringers first.

After fusing, you dig out the fibre paper from the little slit you've left (the hard part -- getting the paper out!)

It worked great! No special glass or added expenses.

Good luck,
Peggy
Groovyglass

Post by Groovyglass »

Hi Peggy,
That is a great idea. I had already thought of something similar and was thinking I could make photo pouches with the 1/8 inch fiber paper. You can dissolve with water to get the paper out. I think if you used the thin paper you would have a hard time getting the water out. With the 1/8 inch, you can get a fine pipe cleaner down there to absorb the water. Instead of decorating around the edges with a fused design though, I wanted to put glass nuggets and wire and give it a distressed aged look to the whole piece. I was going to either print out the image in black and white or brown and white for that antique vintage look. I bought very dark amber nuggets to use through the piece. Here is an example of what I wanted to do but enclose the picture and maybe not so big. Instead of a jungle theme I would give it a vintage feel. I wanted to fuse the area the picture goes. Below is a link to an example. Dianne

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/Groovyglas ... eframe.jpg