Classes in home Studio and Place that rents studio use

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

pclark

Classes in home Studio and Place that rents studio use

Post by pclark »

I really have two questions.

1. Has anyone ever taught basic fusing classes out of there home studio and if so how did that work out. What did you charge and how did you advertise etc..... (I am sure someone has done this.)

2. Does anyone know of a retailer that rents kiln time and or studio space? I thought this would be a good business idea and thought someone might already be doing it.

Thanks for any info.

Paul
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I haven't taught classes out of my home studio because of liability issues. If you decide to do this, make sure you find insurance that covers teaching. My business liability insurance specifically excludes teaching; I don't know if this is common practice.

I know of some places that rent out firing time, etc. I've had other artists ask me to fire work for them because their kilns aren't large enough. I've also fired work for students when I've taught glass at a local college that doesn't have big enough kilns for firing larger glass pieces.

Rates vary based on the area of country and the size of the kiln.

Geri
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

The local Stained Glass shop both fires for a fee and rents time on their kilns. I think she's getting $35 per piece to fire, not sure about the rental.
Stephie
Mira

Post by Mira »

When I was learning to fuse, I took a fusing class from a gal out of her home studio. I have no idea what she had for insurance, but quite frankly, it was more like a few friends getting together than a class. I learned a ton - way more than friends of mine got while taking 2 month courses because I could hone right in on questions. It's the only class I ever took!