OK, new Felesatti grinder questions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Steph Mader

OK, new Felesatti grinder questions

Post by Steph Mader »

Wahoo! The Felesatti wet grinder just arrived. I love new tools. I do have a quandry, though. I think I might be missing a part, or something....?

I have the metal "wheel clutch flange" part that threads onto the head of the grinder. I have a red plastic circular dealy (Do I call it a grinding disk base?) that has velcro on it, for attaching the disks. But I don't see any way to attach this part to the wheel clutch flange. Do I take the flange off and just screw on the grinding dealy?

Thanks
Steph
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

The treaded flange thingy holds the disk base on the spindle. Put the disk base on, thread the flange on, put the disk on the base (very straight), plug into a GFCI outlet (only), add lots of water and grind. It helps a bit if you have been lifting weights for a while. To hold the glass still you might need one of those rubber rug holders.

Good luck,
Tim
Bert Weiss

Flex grinder

Post by Bert Weiss »

I just got a sale flyer from Gran Quartz. They have a limited number of Flex LW 1503 wet grinders, reconditioned for $199, it has a built in GFCI and water feed hookup.

Alpha Ceramica polishing disks run from $24.8 (3") to 48.4 (5") for resin discs from 150 - 3000 grit.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Steph Mader

Tim

Post by Steph Mader »

This is hard to do verbally. I think I should try to be a little clearer. The metal flange, when I screw it on to the bolt, covers the entire bolt. So, I either have the wrong part & need something else, or I should unscrew the flange and then screw the plastic backing pad/velcro dealy back on. When I do that, there is about maybe 3/4" of bolt showing. Just doesn't seem right. Did I get the wrong stuff, or do I just go with molto exposo-bolto?

And geez, Bert, is my timing off or what?

Steph
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Hi Steph,
You have to take the metal flange off and put the velcro one on.

Amy
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

OK.
Phil Hoppes

Re: Tim

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Steph Mader wrote:This is hard to do verbally. I think I should try to be a little clearer. The metal flange, when I screw it on to the bolt, covers the entire bolt. So, I either have the wrong part & need something else, or I should unscrew the flange and then screw the plastic backing pad/velcro dealy back on. When I do that, there is about maybe 3/4" of bolt showing. Just doesn't seem right. Did I get the wrong stuff, or do I just go with molto exposo-bolto?

And geez, Bert, is my timing off or what?

Steph
Steph,

If you didn't you should have ordered the rubber backer pad for the grinder. The backer pad that comes with the Felisetti is for granite grinding disks. Check this picture out on Granite City Website:

http://www.granitecitytool.com/showitem ... 0&catnum=0

You want the 4" pad. This has the velcro attachment to allow your disks to attach.

Phil
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks for the photo link, that is really helpful. I did order one, but it is red plastic. Looks similar enough. I'm just confused about all the exposed bolt when you screw it on. If it's not a problem, then I'm good to go.

Steph