looking for information on using raw materials in fusing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dave laporta

looking for information on using raw materials in fusing

Post by dave laporta »

I would like to play around with applying raw materials in my glass projects and was wondering if anyone could give me advise from their own experiences. One question I have is whether I should use the raw chemicals versus masion stains. Should I go with the pre-mixed formula of masion stains or should I purchase the chemicals and mix my own? I know some are designed for higher firings to get optimum effects, which would be best to use for glass and its temp range? Don't masion stains have a ceramic base to them?

For starters I'd like to keep this simple then if I see some potential I'd like to get more advanced with it. What should I start with?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi dave, LOTS in the archive on this. i find it useful to have a bin of pre cut and washed 2x2" or2x3" (more room for writing id) pieces of glass to test out thosw what if i ........ ideas. also i keep a notebook on the bench. nothing more frustrating than getting a cool effect and not being able to repeat it. rosanna
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: looking for information on using raw materials in fusing

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

dave laporta wrote:I would like to play around with applying raw materials in my glass projects and was wondering if anyone could give me advise from their own experiences. One question I have is whether I should use the raw chemicals versus masion stains. Should I go with the pre-mixed formula of masion stains or should I purchase the chemicals and mix my own? I know some are designed for higher firings to get optimum effects, which would be best to use for glass and its temp range? Don't masion stains have a ceramic base to them?

For starters I'd like to keep this simple then if I see some potential I'd like to get more advanced with it. What should I start with?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
I have posted a lot on this technology

Try a search on on body stains in the archives