Noisy Controller- Is this normal?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Beth S

Noisy Controller- Is this normal?

Post by Beth S »

I have a new controller (along with a new kiln). I attempted my first firing last night and ended up aborting as the controller was so very noisy and didn't want to disturb my upstairs tenant. It is a Sentry 2.0 controller from Paragon. I called them this morning and they assure me it sounds normal to them. It is the wall mounted type. I would like to know from others who have this controller, Is this normal?

Currently I am heating the kiln at 600 dph and approximately every 3 to 5 seconds the controller makes a loud switching sound comparable to the sound a large breaker makes when being switched. (I experimented in my breaker box so I could describe it for you. It sounds like a double breaker not just a single one.) It's pretty annoying and since I have a tenant upstairs I try to only do noisy stuff in my studio when she is at work. I do, however, usually fire when she is home as my old Skutt controller is virtually silent.

If this is really the way this controller is supposed to work I may be shopping for another. Any ideas or suggestions? :?: :?: :?:
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

My Skutt Kilnmaster makes a loud noise like a breaker when it goes on and off. Fortunately my studio is a separate building from our house but we do have guest quarters above my studio so I don't run the kiln when we have visitors. Not what you wanted to hear I'm afraid!
Amy
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

My Paragon controller also makes all kinds of noises. My favorite part is the whine it makes during certain parts of the firing cycle.

The clicking is completely normal.

Geri
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

The clicking is the sound of the relays(contactors)opening and closing, and yes, the mechanical ones are noisy. There are solid state alternatives, but they cost more and can fail in the on state, as well as not liking electrical storms. I only use mechanical, and though it can sound like a rehearsal hall for castanat players in my studio, I've gotten used to it. As they age they can begin to buzz loudly in addition to clicking. This can be so annoying that it's time to change them out, but that's after years of service. Don't be tempted to put sound absorbing material over the box, they need to be able to keep cool to be happy and safe.
charlie

Post by charlie »

tell them that's the sound of money being made. :D
Beth S

Post by Beth S »

Thanks for all the quick replies. I am disappointed though that it looks like I will have to live with this. I am comparing this new controller to my old one which doesn't make noise this way. My old controller which came on my older Skutt kiln is nice and quiet which I like much better. I was hoping there was some way to make the new one function as the old one does. You know how you can replace your light switches with "quiet" switches. Is there no way to acheive this with my new Sentry controller?
:roll:
charlie

Post by charlie »

yes you can, or at least, yes, someone can. you should contact the maker to see what they recommend. at the least you'll need new relays as a direct replacement. at the worst, you'd have to add some more relays, some wiring, and then replace these. how good at electrical wiring and debugging are you?
Beth S

Post by Beth S »

Hmmm....I'm pretty good at household wiring, wired my whole house under the tutalage of a retired electrician, wired my whole studio building myself (ok, I did have to get a bit of advice from electrician friends, and one of them hooked up the main panel because I was too intimidated.) plus I've rewired quite a few light fixtures in my time but...I'm not sure what is inside of the controller or even exactly how it works or even what a relay looks like or how it works. What can you tell me?

Thanks,
Beth
charlie

Post by charlie »

the instruction book may have a schematic. i'd suggest starting there.

basically, you have to be able to know how to determine the requirements of the relays that are installed. you then have to find other relays (mercury) that take the same requirements. if you can't find an exact dropin replacement, you'll have to fit relays that can then drive mercury relays that do the actual switching. that may require you to add another power source at a different voltage for the secondary relays. since these won't fit inside your current controller box, you'll have to be able to do high power wiring in an external box. none of this will be done under the current ul certification, and not done right, will be both an electrical and fire hazard.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Charlies advice about contacting the mfr. is what I'd offer. You will be able to retrofit your controller with a quieter contactor, but the mfr. will tell you what the important parameters are, like actuation voltage and amperage rating, that will allow you to select a replacement. Something to check too, is the size of your existing relay. If it fits in an enclosure that will be a factor to consider too.If you haven't worked with high amperage before, and specifically kilns, I'd get an electrician to help you out. It's not difficult electrically, it's just that the stakes are higher if you mess up. Be prepared to pay more for a solid state contactor, but they are silent. Good luck.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I would also like to suggest that you could sell your (new) controller, and then buy a solid state, or a quieter manual controller. The manufacturer may even take it back for full credit if you buy a replacement from them.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Hugo Gavarini

Post by Hugo Gavarini »

Mmmm...

I have my Sentry 2.0 just on my knees now, and it's full electronic. It's a low voltage-low current output only to command main switches. In fact, a Sentry 2.0 can lead either mechanical relays or solid state relays.

I would investigate where the loud noise is coming from. I guess it is originated next to but not from the Sentry 2.0 itself.

Hope this helps.
Hugo