When is it 'glass' art?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ellen abbott

When is it 'glass' art?

Post by ellen abbott »

This is not about art vs craft.

My question is, when does glass art stop being glass art, or rather, what defines glass art? When should a piece stop being called 'glass' art and start being called something else? Like sculpture or multi-media? Does inclusion of glass, no matter the form (worked or found) or quantity (percentage of overall materials) qualify an otherwise multi-media sculpture to be called glass art? Would you consider, for example, jars filled with all sorts of weird stuff and stacked to form a wall, glass art? Or how about a large (say 6'h x 2'w x 2'd) piece composed of five or six different materials which includes a glass element that is roughly 6" x 6", glass art? Or a painting which has a small sculptural element in cast glass included in the installation? Are these artists 'glass' artists? If so, am I then a metalsmith because I incorporate small pieces of metal in some of my cast glass pieces?

Should an exhibition of multi-media sculpture, which sculptures include to more or less degrees glass elements, be called and advertised as a glass art exhibition?

E
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i object to "glass art." it's kind of like "metal car." "glass art" sounds like there's some question as to whether it's art or not.

i like titles, and after that, the materials/media and method should be mentioned.