How to ?

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Brock

Post by Brock »

A curious English expletive that I never really understood is 'Well,' at the beginning of a sentence. I looked-it up once. Its used to lend a number of different tones to replies. Its used a lot on bulletin boards. There are people who prefix every one of their replies with 'Well,'. I imagine them to be Eeyore The Donkey-types. I can't find any etymology on 'Well,', but I figure its a diminutive for 'Well-enough said, however you're full of baloney' , or 'Well, ok, this is tedious, but let me condescend at great annoyance to using your terminology' or something like that.

Well Don, I'm not sure I agree with that. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Chip

Post by Chip »

When I was a kid, one of my good friend's favorite words was "schmuck," as someone acting goofy or weird. It wasn't until I was drafted I learned the real definition of the (Yiddish) term "schmuck." :oops:

Charlie, does it have another definition in Samoan? :)
Chip
Micah 6.8
Chip

Re: uffda....

Post by Chip »

Siw wrote:Hi Sonje, I noticed it too,- Chip using "uffda"... made me giggle :D
It reminds me, in strenght of swearing, of "good grief" used by Charlie Brown (wasn't it him?) Funny, Chip!!!

Siw in Norway
Yes, but now I know how to really spell it!! :shock:
Chip
Micah 6.8
charlie

Post by charlie »

Chip wrote:When I was a kid, one of my good friend's favorite words was "schmuck," as someone acting goofy or weird. It wasn't until I was drafted I learned the real definition of the (Yiddish) term "schmuck." :oops:

Charlie, does it have another definition in Samoan? :)
when i was in college i played varsity volleyball with a bunch of samoans. it was interchangable with f-u. whether that was correct or not wasn't really the point at the time.