Tips for accepting commissions

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

charlie

Post by charlie »

a stop is just a small piece of something. it is most frequently wood or metal, but could be anything else that is solid enough to drill and will hold. it's drilled or nailed and serves to hold something back. it can be just a small 1" piece, or a full length piece, of moulding, depending upon what you want it to look like. this is woodworking or carpentry, not glass, that you're getting into.
Msveedub

Post by Msveedub »

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm. And while I'm handy with a pile of wood and powertools, I'm no carpenter (or blacksmith, for that matter), and don't want to pretend to be one. Simple quarter-round, though, i can do.

Susan
Dani

Post by Dani »

Your "stop" should match the material you are setting into... so if you have a metal-framed window, you would choose a metal stop in a matching color. If you have white wood window frames, you would get wood quarter-round to paint white and cut into stops. Quarter-round is just a fat dowel that has been cut into four pieces of wood length-wise so that it's literally a quarter of the round dowel... does that make sense? These kinds of stops are a very neat fit. You put your art panel up against the existing glazing propped on the wood frame, then place a wood stop over the lead borders and nail into the window frame to hold the art panel in place next to the window glass. When you're finished the art glass is securely held in place, but the stops you use blend in and look like part of the original window frame. It's easy, really. :wink:
Msveedub

Post by Msveedub »

Thank you for your reply.... I'm wondering, are there any advantages to having a space, a pocket of air between the original window and a glass piece being installed? Putting a spacer between the original window and the work, and then the outside spacer designed to keep the work in place?

Just wondering,
Susan