While we are on the topic of dust...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

While we are on the topic of dust...

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Below is a link to a Word document that I put together for students in my classes. It is an overview of silicosis and intended to convince folks of the importance of wearing proper respitory protection when working with glass powders, fiber papers....you all know the list.

Feel free to download it and -- if you also teach -- copy and distribute for your own classes.

I read through this sheet at the start of each class. Pretty much everyone wears a mask after that.

http://www.izm.com/misc/silicosis.doc

Windows users can right click on the link and "Save as..."

- Paul
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

I always wear a mask when I am tilesawing, vacuuming up thinfire residue, rinsing pieces off that have thinfire stuck to them, sandblasting, mixing kilnwash.......but, then I take the mask off and I always wonder if there are particles floating around in the air that I can't see that are worming their way into my lungs. I don't want to have to wear my beautiful mask all the time.....but I have thought about it. Thoughts?

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Lisa Allen wrote:I always wear a mask when I am tilesawing, vacuuming up thinfire residue, rinsing pieces off that have thinfire stuck to them, sandblasting, mixing kilnwash.......but, then I take the mask off and I always wonder if there are particles floating around in the air that I can't see that are worming their way into my lungs. I don't want to have to wear my beautiful mask all the time.....but I have thought about it. Thoughts?

Lisa
Hi Lisa --

Fine dust particles -- like the kind we are discussing -- can hang in the air a long time. Woodworkers often install air cleaners to expedite the process.

Examples are these: http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/m ... ry_Code=AC

I also have seen plans to make one yourself -- basically a box with a fan in the middle and filters at both ends.

- Paul
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Lisa:

I explain all of this on my web site.

http://www.gregorieglass.com

Greg
Certified Industrial Hygienist
Greg
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Greg Rawls wrote:Lisa:

I explain all of this on my web site.

http://www.gregorieglass.com

Greg
Certified Industrial Hygienist
Hey greg-

I guess I forgot the thread about nuissance dust. My respirator has P-100 cartridges, so I suppose i'm ok........but I guess we will really know in about 15 years. :shock:

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

The big problem I see with working around dusty materials is the total inability to make any kind of measurement of contamination levels in the studio.

If you can't see the small particles that cause lung damage how do you know there aren't any left on work surfaces before you take off the respirator?

The problem is as simple as filling the sugar bowl or salt shaker without spilling any. You can see the spilled sugar or salt and clean it up, but toxic dusts smaller than the eye can see are probably all over the studio and nobody knows it without testing.

I gave up working with thinfire paper and trying to control the dust. There is NO POSSIBLE way to control what you can't see. Anything you do around a fired piece of thinfire causes visible dust to fly all over the place. Spray water on it , lay wet towles on it, it only spreads the dust. You can't even take a kiln shelf out of the kiln without stirring up a cloud of dust. Now this is visible dust, just imagine what you can't see.

The next time you have a piece of used thinfire on a kiln shelf, set it in a sunbeam coming through a studio window. Early morning sun works well. Watch the dust particles fly around with the least air movement. What you're seeing is the big stuff not the stuff that does the damage to your lungs.

Ron
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Lisa: P100 is perfect for any size dust. No good for organics list acetone, mineral spirits.
Greg
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have a hepa filter on an dust collector. I let it run while and for several hours after working with powder. I also have an electronic air cleaner on my furnace. I clean up work surfaces with a damp sponge.As Ron says you can't eliminate it, I just try to minimize it.

Cheers,

Bob
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Paul, I couldn't open your document. Did you take it off your site?
Deb
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

daffodildeb wrote:Paul, I couldn't open your document. Did you take it off your site?
I moved my site to a new host last night and that file got dropped. I'll fix it tonight.

- Paul
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
daffodildeb wrote:Paul, I couldn't open your document. Did you take it off your site?
I moved my site to a new host last night and that file got dropped. I'll fix it tonight.

- Paul
It's back -- sorry about that :)