best mold materials?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

molly

best mold materials?

Post by molly »

I need to know from you more experienced glass workers which materials are best for molds, and where can I find these materials? I use a lot of terra cotta plant pots and dishes, but am limited by their shapes. I can also make and fire my own molds out of high fire clay, but it is a lot of trouble. ( I work full time, so want to spend my time kiln firing my glass! LOL!) I also need to know which tools are best for codworking fused glass jewelry. My work is really improving, and I now have some money to put into new materials and equipment. As per the coldworking, I mostly just smooth out rough edges on the glass, etc. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I am ready to "move up in the world" of glass fusing..... Thanks for any advice.
Paul Tarlow

Re: best mold materials?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

molly wrote:I need to know from you more experienced glass workers which materials are best for molds, and where can I find these materials? I use a lot of terra cotta plant pots and dishes, but am limited by their shapes. I can also make and fire my own molds out of high fire clay, but it is a lot of trouble. ( I work full time, so want to spend my time kiln firing my glass! LOL!) I also need to know which tools are best for codworking fused glass jewelry. My work is really improving, and I now have some money to put into new materials and equipment. As per the coldworking, I mostly just smooth out rough edges on the glass, etc. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I am ready to "move up in the world" of glass fusing..... Thanks for any advice.
There are lots of alternatives for molds. Most of my ceramic molds are unglazed bisque from the local "paint your own pottery" place.

Stainless steel bowls work well -- but are somewhat of a pain to kiln wash.

Though I haven't used them (and they are a bit pricey) I know a number of folks who use Bullseye's ceramic molds and swear by the quality.

A search on "molds" (in the current board and in the old archive) should yield lots of good reading.

Likewise for topics like "web belt sander" "lap wheel" "grinder" -- and any other piece of cold working equipment you can think of.

Think about what you are trying to achieve -- its always a bit risky to be a bit of technology in search of a project...

- Paul
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks for the response, Paul. I will search the archives to see what I can find out. I just noticed that some of you were making molds from fiber board, etc. As I said, my options are limited due to the fact I need rather small molds for jewelry pieces. I'd like som new shapes, and guess I should start on some more new ones that I make myself out of clay. Thanks for the advice! This board is really fun!!!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Molly

One big advantage of making your own molds is that nobody else will have molds like yours.

"Glass Casting and Mold Making" by Boyce Lundstrom is a good book.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
molly

Post by molly »

That is true, I suppose. I am just not a very patient person, and time is of the essence right now. I also hate to wait for the clay to dry before it can be fired, which takes DAYS at the very least. But, you DO have a valid point. Perhaps I should just make some and post the results! Thanks for the advice, and any other suggestions will be appreciated.