Cutting Saw for jewelry making

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Isabell

Cutting Saw for jewelry making

Post by Isabell »

Hi everyone!
I have been using a regular tile saw for cutting small glass pieces from a bigger piece.
The bigger piece is about 8 inch.x8 inch. two layer full fuse. The smaller pieces become jewelry.

My problem is that the tile saw is huge, noisy and splashes all over, so I have to use it outside where it is cold and of course the water that runs through the diamond blade is also very cold, making my work time not so enjoyable. At this point I am wonder what kind of saw other people use for this kind of work. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Isabella
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have a Taurus 2 ring saw and love it.
Chip
Micah 6.8
KatyPattison

Post by KatyPattison »

I just use a regular cutter and a large morton breaker(Morton Safety Break M80 I think). The morton breaker is a big u shaped piece of tubing attached to a small plastic grid with the morton button on it. I cut the 8x8 in half and then into smaller pieces. Sometimes I use the morton, sometimes just my running pliers (I have a large, old, metal pair with the set screw). Seems to work for me and is a lot faster than my Taurus if I have a lot to do!

Katy
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

I was just doing that today for the first time. Outside and it was cold here too. I put on some of those rubber exam gloves and then a pair of work gloves with the little rubber dots. Like a wet suit for your digits. :)
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

Normally, I'm able to cut the pieces with a glass cutter and breaking pliers. I then use the grinder to round out or refine the shape. I have a Gryphon that I use for larger pieces and I love it.

Linda
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I use a Laser Band saw which works very well.