Need Help w/ Orton AF-3 Speed Controller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LindaJo

Need Help w/ Orton AF-3 Speed Controller

Post by LindaJo »

I have been trying to figure this out, I can program up to a point but when I flash vent, and want to anneal down, what I am programming doesn't seem to do the trick. Anyone willing to help me out, I will be glad to give you a long distance call. I got 4 pages of instructions on this, and I just don't have enough information. I am new to kiln work, have done a fuse, a slump and a drape, but I really had to watch the kiln and shut it off when needed and reprogram it to get to where I wanted to be. Thanks a bunch. Thanks, Eljay
Ron Coleman

Re: Need Help w/ Orton AF-3 Speed Controller

Post by Ron Coleman »

LindaJo wrote:I have been trying to figure this out, I can program up to a point but when I flash vent, and want to anneal down, what I am programming doesn't seem to do the trick. Anyone willing to help me out, I will be glad to give you a long distance call. I got 4 pages of instructions on this, and I just don't have enough information. I am new to kiln work, have done a fuse, a slump and a drape, but I really had to watch the kiln and shut it off when needed and reprogram it to get to where I wanted to be. Thanks a bunch. Thanks, Eljay
A little program trick you might need to try :D After you have soaked at your fuse temperature and that step in the program ends, program a very short time to your anneal temperature, maybe about 1 min to get to anneal. Then program an anneal time plus whatever time it takes your kiln to actually cool to anneal temperature.

One of my programs looks like this;
finish soak at fuse temp 1450 f
1 min to 960 f
60 min 960f( includes time to cool to 960 plus anneal time)
off

Your current program probably has an anneal time programed right after your fuse soak. Most controllers will play this part as taking whatever time your put in as the time you want to take to get to your anneal temp.

Ron
LindaJo

Post by LindaJo »

Ron,
Thanks, I am programming it now, and will give that a try. Talk about frustrating. Lucky I have Brad's book, and lots and lots of glass to cook.
Eljay