Kiln Tongs - opinions wanted

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

glassattack

Kiln Tongs - opinions wanted

Post by glassattack »

Anyone got an opinion on the Kiln Tongs from DiamondTech Intl?

Or can anyone recommend a pair of tongs, and a nice pair of kiln gloves?

Thanks again

Nichollette
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Nichollette,

Don't know about the tongs but I can make a suggestion for gloves. For most cases of opening kiln lids at normal operating temperatures a pair of welders gloves are sufficient. If you are working inside the kiln you probably want to go with high temperature gloves such as Zetex. Remember to wear clothes made from natural fibres such as cotton. Synthetic fibres can meld and burn... I know from experience.

Cheers,

Bob
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Fusion Headquarters sells high temperature gloves. Click on the "Fusion HQ/HGH" link in the sponsor's list at the top. The gloves appear to be the 18"/46cm elbow-length version similar to the ones I got from Rio Grande, http://www.riogrande.com. Rio Grande's catalogs are not viewable on line, but you can order on line. Their part numbers are 704-104 for 14" Asbestos-Free Gloves and 704-105 for 18". These are wool-lined, Kevlar gloves. They are good for 800F/427C use, with temporary use up to 1000F/538C.

I assume you live in London, England. There should be similar gloves available there. Check with companies that supply foundries, welding, and jewelry making.

Jerry
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

You can make your own tongs. Stainless salad tongs, High temp gasket material (like for an automobile engine- the red goo), and old high temp glove scraps or some other crap like that.
j.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.