help for float

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

help for float

Post by slats »

i was given a 1/4 inch round float blank that is topped with float cullet and frit - size of blank is approx 12 "........need to first fuse it then slump over a ss bowl.......im under the weather with this flu and no patience to sit and search archives.....can anyone help me out here so i can get this fired up for someone.... :oops:
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

in MY kiln...........400f/hr to 1150f hold 20.............full on to 1530f hold 15.... full on down to 1030f hold 20.........85f/hr to 950f hold 0.......165f/hr to 850f hold 0 .....off natural cool . my kiln is a side fired brick ceramic kiln about 24 inches in diameter.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Doc

Lots of variables. What look do you want? How rounded do you want the edges. Is the tin side down (it should be). I would fire to 1420 with a 20 - 40 minute soak. Lower temp with longer soak yields a similar look to a higher temp and short soak, but the bottom comes out cleaner. I would ramp up to 1000 in about an hour or hour and a half, soak at 1240 for maybe 20 or 30 minutes and go to top. You don't say what thickness I would probably soak at 1000 for a half an hour to an hour, take that same time down to 900 than 3/4 of the time down to 700 and that same time down to 300.

Get well. Fire when you are thinking clearly.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
slats

float

Post by slats »

thanks r. but I have a glass kiln...not sure if that makes a difference....Thanks Bert, my man, always there when I need ya....like making a propt 'house call'..... :wink:
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

glass kiln v/s ceramic does make a difference. berts time/ temps will be better for you. chicken soup...........can't hurt. rosanna