Help what cfm?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Claudia Whitten

Help what cfm?

Post by Claudia Whitten »

I am so unset, I ordered a compressor and asked what the cfm was . I was told it was 8.5, when I get it I discovered it was 5.8. I have been trying to do my homework on this. I e-mail Herb at Glastar and he told me at least 7cfm@90psi. So when I was told it was 8.5, I figured that I had done great.
This is what I ordered. Campbell Hausfeld 5HP Peak 28 gals 135max psi and as I discovered 5.8 avg. scfm @90psi.
I want to exchange this for the right one. I live in a small town and had gotten this from Napa Oil. None of the compressors give me the information I want (And obviously the tech man was wrong). I checked their web site and it doesn't break down this information. I don't get it what gives. Help and advice please.............Claudia

Oh yeah, I will be using a pressure pot and doing mostly light surface blasting. Don't plan on carving at this time.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Claudia,

You can return it if you want, but that compressor will work fine with the pressure pot. Most of your blasting will be at 20 to 30 psi and at those low pressures, you'll be using air well within the capability of that compressor.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Tony,
Thanks that is what I thought. I don't understand why Herb would tell me that. I had told him that I was using a pressure pot. Other than he wanted me to have enough air if I was to do more. I feel much better now...............Claudia
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Claudia,

If you were doing serious glass carving... really removing lots of glass, I would agree with the larger compressor. But since most of what we do is surface etching, we'll rarely use more than 30 psi... and for those of us who use pressure pots, the air volume (CFM) requirements are low as well.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun