Mirror Frames & Tables

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Barbara Cashman

Mirror Frames & Tables

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Hi Guys...I don't know if you can help me, but I am attempting to locate simple (perhaps even unfinished) wood occasional tables that I can rout out the tops to insert my glass tile as simple borders. Also, wood or metal mirror frames (preferably channeled) that I can insert 4x4 tiles into to create the finished frame. I have been all over the net. Even found a Suppliers Forum that had been in existance only a few hours, but no one has been able to help. anyone here? - Barbara
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

there are 3 places in wilmington nc that might be of help. ace hardware unfinished furniture barn 910-791-6991. unfinished furniture 910-392-4516. furniture choices 910-686-0252. maybe you can hook up with their distributers or something. have you looked around highpoint nc? also, my glass friend kim, goes to a wholesale show in atlanta every year. that is THE source i think. i am going to find out when it is and may go this year. rosanna
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

the one she goes to is in atlanta. merchandise mart in july. she thinks there might be one in charlotte merchandise mart in jan. hope this helps some. she also picked up some little tables with a wicker/cane middle and cut the cane out. tiles fit nicely in the hole. rosanna
Barbara Cashman

Thanks for the tips. I did go all over Furniture Market in High Point. Actually found what I wanted there a few years ago, placed the order, and the company could not get the product. "Tabled" that idea for a while. Also found some Malayasian tables that would work at Lowes, but have not been able to locate the manufacturer/importer to order direct, if possible. Still need any ideas for channelled mirror frames too, if you have thoughts. Thanks a lot. - Barbara
charlie

Post by charlie »

well, if it were me, i'd either make them myself or find a local woodworker who would. there's a lot of places around here that sell unfinished wood furniture (which oddly enough also sell finished products too) with the name like 'unfinished furniture'. you might try to find similar shops in your local yellow pages.
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

Barbara

I'm a picture framer and I'm not to sure by what you mean by channeled mirror frames. Could it be stain glass moulding which does have a channel? or something else. I carry 100's of samples in my shop and the only one with a channel is the Stain glass moulding. You could also use regular moulding and tac or nail in 1/4 round strips on the back or use glazers points and cover with a wood strip. or use metal moulding and use the springs to hold the tiles in. If the back of the tile isn't meant to be seen. Then any moulding should work. And if their small, if the frame shop near you is anything like mine they have a lot of scrap left over moulding that you could get real cheap or maybe even free.

Hope this helps.

Robin Z
Barbara Cashman

I need the channel on both sides of the 4" tile, so it simply slides in to form the border. Hope that's clearer. - Barbara