Tumbling Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Tumbling Glass

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I'm curious if anyone has used a tumbler (rotary or vibratory) to cold work small pieces of glass?

What media did you use...how many grits did you work through...and how long did the whole process take?

Thanks,
Paul
Carole Burton

TUMBLING GLASS

Post by Carole Burton »

PAUL ARE YOU TRYING TO GET A HIGH POLISH OR ARE YOU TRYING FOR THE FROSTED BEACH GLASS LOOK ?
I HAVE BOTH ROTARY AND VIBRATORY BUT HAVE NOT DONE MUCH WITH GLASS. THE VIBRATORY WILL BE MUCH FASTER FOR WHATEVER. LET ME KNOW WHAT LOOK YOU ARE WORKING FOR AND WILL SEE IF I CAN HELP. CAROLE....S.C.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Tumbling Glass

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Paul Tarlow wrote:I'm curious if anyone has used a tumbler (rotary or vibratory) to cold work small pieces of glass?

What media did you use...how many grits did you work through...and how long did the whole process take?

Thanks,
Paul
There is a lot on this over craftweb

Very recently

Also I put one up there myself using a rociprolap as a vibro tumbler

Post is

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php ... eadid=1253

Update a week or so later

Have a look if U got any Qs ask here

The set up works very well

Carole

When using the vibro method what stops the glass sticking 2 the bottom of the container ??
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

After wrapping my dichro cabs with 14k gold and silver wire I've used the tumbler to shine my wire and had no problems with the cabs changing in any way. Wire shines beautifly and cabs shine nice also. I use the shot that I purchased at Delphi. :wink:
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul,

One of the studios I recently worked in uses a hobby type lapidary tumbler to remove the sharp edges from their scrap glass. They teach a lot of children's classes and find that it reduces the number of boo-boos when the kids are handling the glass. I'm not sure what abrasive they are using, but I'm sure they are only using a single, coarse abrasive to remove the sharps.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Paul Tarlow

Re: TUMBLING GLASS

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Carole Burton wrote:PAUL ARE YOU TRYING TO GET A HIGH POLISH OR ARE YOU TRYING FOR THE FROSTED BEACH GLASS LOOK ?
I HAVE BOTH ROTARY AND VIBRATORY BUT HAVE NOT DONE MUCH WITH GLASS. THE VIBRATORY WILL BE MUCH FASTER FOR WHATEVER. LET ME KNOW WHAT LOOK YOU ARE WORKING FOR AND WILL SEE IF I CAN HELP. CAROLE....S.C.
Thanks Carole.

I'm actually interested in both the frosted ("beach glass") look as well as achieving a high polish.

I've heard that the rotary does a better job of reshaping corners into curves - has that been your experience?

- Paul
Heidi

Re: TUMBLING GLASS

Post by Heidi »

Hi Paul,

I would like to see what you find out about what you can do with a tumbler. My husband has a vibrating tumbler and if I can use it to achieve an effect that's another tool I don't have to buy.

I'll go over to craftweb and see what they say about what medium to use for possible finishes.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Heidi

Paul Tarlow wrote:I'm curious if anyone has used a tumbler (rotary or vibratory) to cold work small pieces of glass?

Thanks,
Paul
Another thing these equip is good 4 is as a ball mill 4 grinding stuff

Like frit n colours

Bat wash etc

U just need 2 add round stuff glass / pebbles etc

But not something that will contaminate
Carole Burton

Tumbling glass

Post by Carole Burton »

Paul to get the frosted look I used silicon carbide but can't read the size on the container probably 200 or 300 and used the vib. I was just trying to get a heavy frosted look was not seeking perfection. It takes several weeks but you need to BURB container every few days (tumblers everyday) . Take a piece and wash it off and dry a piece to check progress. Never wash the S>C> in sink or you will be on first name basis with the plumber very shortly. Remember the glass will reduce in size by about 1/4. Use enough water to NOT cover the glass about 4 or 5 tablespoons of S>C> after a day or so liquid should be thick like heavy cream. You may need to add a little water as time goes by. Some people add a little cut up newspaper or dried corn cobs (got it at rock shop) to form a cushion to keep it glass from hitting against each other. Think glass is about 5 on the mohs hardness scale so it would be like polishing agate. Local rockhound shop would be a world of information and supplies, in you part of the country it should be easy to find a lapidary shop. Hope this helps it has been a while since I did glass polishing. Please let me know if I forgot something, will be glad to help.

Carole......S> C.
Carole Burton

Tumbling glass

Post by Carole Burton »

Brian and Jenny, When I was in college some students made ceramic glazes in the ball mill.
They used balls of porcelain. Probably could get them at the ceramic supply. Using them there would be no contamination.
You came up with a good idea about making frit had never thought of that.
Will have to try that. If I could ever get all the grit out of the tumblers.
Thanks for sharing.

Carole.....S.C..
Carole Burton

Tumbling glass

Post by Carole Burton »

Brian. Sorry I didn't answer your question. Guess Old-Timers is slipping in. I don't know what a rociprolap looks like. Need to see a picture to give you an good answer. Maybe I know it by a different name.

Carole....S.C.

Re: Tumbling glass

Carole Burton wrote:Brian. Sorry I didn't answer your question. Guess Old-Timers is slipping in. I don't know what a rociprolap looks like. Need to see a picture to give you an good answer. Maybe I know it by a different name.

Carole....S.C.
There is a pic over in the link I mentioned above

Its a kinda horisontal ossilating action

I guess a tumbler is better 4 rounding the glass we R using it 2 smooth the glass rather than shape it

2 clean the tumbler run it without the grit + poss news paper or something
Carole Burton

Tumbling Glass

Post by Carole Burton »

Brian, Sorry I missed the website you referred me to. Had alway heard it called a lap. Have never used a lap but seen them work but guess the glass settles because the shape of your flat bottom container. By the motion, it tends to go to the bottom and it packs down. One shape tumbler is round and rolls. The vib. is a four sided cut off cone shaped thing without much of a flat bottom.
A friend made me a tumbler years ago, using a thick plastic or acrylic bowl (no lid) (brand Texas Ware) like the size of a large mixing bowl used in the kitchen . You might can find thick left over containers that usually come in a set of three that have lids. Even a SS wok probably would work. You are so good at inventing things you could figure out how to make a top. Heavy
duty Almunin foil might work. Just think it has to have a deep rounded bottom to work and do what you want it to do.
Please let me know how it works and post a pic.

Good luck
Carole......S.C.
vanpool

Post by vanpool »

I use a tumbler all the time with my scrap glass. I use a Lortone rotary tumbler (4 pound size). I use different grades of silicone grit to achieve different finishes on the glass. I have used the tumbled pieces for many different things not related to glass. I put the tumbled pieces in my planter boxes, the glass gives off a nice mix of colors in the sun. I have used the pieces for my aquarium and a media to grow bamboo. It takes from 2-4 weeks depending upon what finish you are going for.

Carole Burton wrote:Brian, Sorry I missed the website you referred me to. Had alway heard it called a lap. Have never used a lap but seen them work but guess the glass settles because the shape of your flat bottom container. By the motion, it tends to go to the bottom and it packs down. One shape tumbler is round and rolls. The vib. is a four sided cut off cone shaped thing without much of a flat bottom.
A friend made me a tumbler years ago, using a thick plastic or acrylic bowl (no lid) (brand Texas Ware) like the size of a large mixing bowl used in the kitchen . You might can find thick left over containers that usually come in a set of three that have lids. Even a SS wok probably would work. You are so good at inventing things you could figure out how to make a top. Heavy
duty Almunin foil might work. Just think it has to have a deep rounded bottom to work and do what you want it to do.

Good luck
Carole......S.C.
Thanks the rounded bottom sounds a good idea

Carole Burton wrote:Brian, Sorry I missed the website you referred me to. Had alway heard it called a lap. Have never used a lap but seen them work but guess the glass settles because the shape of your flat bottom container. By the motion, it tends to go to the bottom and it packs down. One shape tumbler is round and rolls. The vib. is a four sided cut off cone shaped thing without much of a flat bottom.

Good luck
Carole......S.C.
I have been thinking some more of this vibro thingy

The shape of your container

"is a four sided cut off cone shaped thing without much of a flat bottom".

Whats the bottom shape like " V " or " U " or " W " ????

Considering its my first attempt with this rociprolap the finish is very good

I am shure a different shaped bace would sort out the standing still problem