slumping into mold vs drop ring

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

joan

slumping into mold vs drop ring

Post by joan »

Another beginner question. I have a Skutt 10 14 with controller. It has 3 programs with 3 speeds. Fast, med, slow and full fuse, tack, and slump. If I am slumping a 6" 2 layered piece into a drop ring elevated 2" would I use the same schedule and soak times as if I am slumping into a shallow mold? Or would the drop ring need a higher temp and/or longer soak.
Joan
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Joan,

The short answer is ... it depends. The rate of slumping depends on the width of the unsupported glass (wide areas slump before narrow areas), the temperature (hotter temp makes for faster slumping), and time (the longer you hold the piece at one temperature the more it slumps).

One way to approach slumping is to heat slowly (300F/hr) until the piece starts to bend. Hold it at that temperature (it might be difficult with the controller you have) and wait. It it doesn't slump very much in 15 minutes then raise the temperature 25F and wait another 15 minutes.

The object is to slump at the lowest temperature. You have more control on the shape, and you get fewer marks from the mold.

Cheers,

Bob
Susan Tutor

Post by Susan Tutor »

Joan, your Glassmaster controller can do much more than that. When I read the manual I had to sit in front of the controller and practice with the different options. I use Ramp Mode to enter my own firing schedules and use the Menu options to modify the preprogrammed schedules. When I slump with the Slo Slp schedule, I change the hold time to 30min., If needed I press TEMP key to increase the temp in 5' increments and press Hold key to increase hold time in 5 min increments. When the piece looks right, I press ANNEAL NOW key to immediately start annealling. I love this controller but it did take awhile to get acquainted! :)