Square Stainless Slump Mold...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anea

Square Stainless Slump Mold...

Post by Anea »

Hello Everyone -

I recently purchased a new stainless slump mold from our most recent board sponsor Fusion Headquarters and it is beautiful and a great shape :lol: . My only question regards holes in the bottom of the mold so that the air can escape. The prep directions that it came with do not mention a need to make holes nor did it come with holes. IN the past I have only sagged over a stainless mold and never into it. All of my ceramic molds have holes. Is the lack of holes going to be a problem or does stainless not need holes? If you want to check out the mold, it is the 14" square stainless mold on their site for $45, though when I bought it the site said $65. Any and all advice welcome.

thanks

anea
http://www.aneascreativedesign.com
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

The mold definitely should have holes. Their web site states that holes are pre-drilled as necessary, but I'd err on the side of caution, and drill two or three small holes in the bottom of the mold.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Anea

Post by Anea »

Just got a call back from the folks at Fusion Headquarters and she said the mold is so shallow that the air just slips up through the side and that the mold doesn't need holes. She also said she has fired it that way without problems many times. Just thought I would let everyone else know in case they had similar questions.

anea