Ring Saw Help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

nbe

Ring Saw Help

Post by nbe »

I am in need of some help in choosing a ring saw. I have 3 choices and would like some feedback as to what you guys think of these 3 choices. I can choose from a Titan, Taurus 3, or Zypher. Please give me some feedback on these choices, or if there is a better choice, please give the pros so I can make the best choice.

Thanks,
Glenn
Nicole Hanna

Re: Ring Saw Help

Post by Nicole Hanna »

I have a Taurus 3 and I like it. I can't compare it to the others as I've never used those, but I think the T3 works very well, it's easy to use, easy to change the blades now that know how...took a couple tries to get it, but it's a simple concept. Also, now that I know the saw well, I haven't broken a blade in quite a long time. (I know, I just jinxed myself!!) But, one of the things I've seen people complain about is that the blades break easily, so I just thought I should mention this...I think one of the reasons I had problems breaking blades was more user inexperience than anything. (I have more experience cutting wood and using wood tools, so I had to adjust my expectations a little!)
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get a better idea from someone who's got experience using all 3 of those you've mentioned, but I do like my T3, for what it's worth!

Nicole
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

mpg wrote:I'm looking at these saws too -- and have some more questions! About how fast do they cut -- how long would it take to make a 6" straight cut, for example? I know people say that ring saws aren't the best tool for pattern bars, but would they work for the occasional project (with the mega/fusing blade). And how messy are they to use -- is the splashing mostly contained to the work surface?

Thanks!
Michelle
I don't get a lot of splash off my Taurus 3 but it will occasionally throw up some glass chips, so wear goggles. The speed of the cut depends on the thickness of the material--mine cuts through 1.8mm (thin) glass about like butter, especially with a new blade. I'd say it could go through six inches of thin glass in maybe 30-45 seconds. An inch-thick pattern bar is a different matter--in that blogpost I show an inch-thick cut I made in a piece of cast glass. Probably took 12-15 minutes to make that cut. Much faster and you'll stress the blade.

And no, if I had any other tool available I wouldn't use the Taurus to cut pattern bars. I know that they have the little attachment with the rubber bands that's supposed to make pattern bar cutting easy, but was a pain when I tried it. You can buy an inexpensive tile saw to do straight cuts through pattern bars and such. Mine takes maybe 20-30 seconds to make a pattern bar slice. It'd take forever on the Taurus.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I didn't like the Taurus 2 because it spit a lot of water, as you noted, but also because I kept breaking blades on the Taurus 2 and I don't have that problem with the 3. The Taurus 3 has a slightly larger working area and greater working depth, and I don't get as much sprayback with the T3. OTOH, if you got the Taurus 2 for $50, the $300 or so you saved is more than worth a little extra spray... ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)