Freeze and fuse

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dvallere

Re: Freeze and fuse

Post by dvallere »

My Legos came out great! I'm getting my son ready for school but when we get back I'll post a pic.
glassconfusion

Post by glassconfusion »

I want to thank EVERYONE for the great discussion and help with this. You guys are the GREATEST! One small thing just to relate, I DID go to the old archives and type in Freeze and Fuse more than once (remember, I am blonde) before I asked the question. I have been on this website since before there were sooooo many sponsers (congrats mr. brad) and I know better than to just start a topic that has been voiced on repeatedly. My search turned up zip. zero. nada. hmmm...I shall try again. And try the freezing with water....I have used the CMC for liquid stringer and figured I would go ahead and try that if the other way was a "secret", but I honestly thought that he had come up with some certain type of "binder" that had a chemical notation. Wally and Hazel (my kilns) are already a tad teed off with me lately for breaking some of their firebrick so having something that would explode inside them would just put them on strike with me. Thanks again kids...you guys rock.
marcia
glass confusion
http://www.glassconfusion.net
Warm Regards from the Oregon Coast
dvallere

Post by dvallere »

Raf, regular liquid dish soap is a surfactant too. I've used it for years in yarn dyeing. However, I would like to know what the purpose of a wetting agent is in the freeze & fuse projects?

Thanks,

Donna

PS - here are the Legos. The bottom ones were made with light pink striker which is why they have a somewhat irregular coloration. Also, I can see I didn't pack the frit down hard enough on some of these. But they will suffice to decorate the edges of a plate!