lamp shade molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Mc

lamp shade molds

Post by Nancy Mc »

I'm looking for molds for slumping lamp shades. Does anyone have info on them?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Same as a bowl but upside down, n'est ce pas?
Bethany

Post by Bethany »

I have seen torchiere style molds (also known as bowls but more lampish looking) on Gil and Carmen's site (Fusion isn't it? I always find it by circuitous means).

Is there a heat problem with soft glass and lamp/sconce shades? I did a search for 'lamp shade heat' in the archives but nothing came up. I've been tempted to make some wall sconces for my home but I don't want to put in the effort only to have them crack from the heat.

TIA.
-Bethany
Susan Slack

Post by Susan Slack »

Bethany,
I have made 7 wall sconces for my home. They have been up for years and I have never had any problems with heat. Just be sure to use bulbs that are the proper wattage for the lamp unit.
Susan from Green Oaks
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I've been making lamps for years based on kiln formed glass, and the rule I use is, leave the light on for an hour, touch the glass closest to the bulb, if you can leave your hand there without discomfort it's OK. If it is too hot to bear, lower the wattage, vent the top, or redesign. Slumping or fusing the glass is not the problem, it is glasses inherent poor heat conduction and inflexibility.