I've got this kiln, it's falling apart! Help!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

skyeblue

I've got this kiln, it's falling apart! Help!

Post by skyeblue »

I have this old kiln, it needs massive repair. Can someone recommend a book or source where I can find information on reviving this piece of junk and making it like new again? It needs work top to bottom. Thanks!
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

tell us more about the kiln? Who made it? What is the size? I am rebuilding on old kiln and also refurbished my large kiln about 7 years ago. Some times the kiln is so far gone its cheaper to make a new one from scratch!!!

I have two books on kiln bguilding. The Kiln Book and Kiln Building. Both cam be purchased at amazon.com. Just type in the name and many kiln books will come up. These kilns however are for ceramics primarily. If you want to build a glass kiln only, then look in the archives.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Henry Halems book, Glass Notes, has info on annealer(kiln)construction.
KILN-TEC

Post by KILN-TEC »

Hi:
Tell me more informatiion. Elements can be replaced, electrical can be repaired. Broken bricks can be replaced. All depends how much, time versus money, you wish to spend. I have almost ten years experience in repairing ceramic and glass kilns. Would be happy to share info.
Rich
skyeblue

kiln type, etc.

Post by skyeblue »

It is an Amaco Electric Kiln that I was given. I want to repair it to build my knowledge of the innerworkings of a kiln. i have very little money but alot of time. It is a top loader with side elements. 120 volt. The bricks are broken, cracked and falling out. Not all of the elements work, only one of the inifinte control switches work. I have a pyrometer that i have yet to install. It needs a new therocouple (due to age). That are all of the problems that I have discovered so far. However, the good news is it does heat up... slowly. i also do not want it to use up excessive electricity.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

With a little TLC you can restore the kiln to like new condition if you're willing to work at it.

I rebuilt an old Amaco several years ago and it runs like a watch. Mine was a 370 pound monster and it only cost about $100 to replace the elements, thermocouple, and give it a good cleaning and paint job. The side bricks in mine are original but have some cracks and the lid needed real surgery to repair major crracks.

I started with a complete teardown marking all the parts and cleaning as I went. Anything that needed repair was fixed or replaced and each part was painted. The biggest problem I had was rusted and broken bolts that had to be drilled out. I had to replace the elements because some were broken and I was changing the working voltage from 208 to 240 volts. I ended up winding my own elements (6) for about $65, a cost savings over the $130 price tag for new elements.

The only expensive part of rebuilding a kiln can be brick replacement, but a small 120 volt kiln doesn't have many bricks to start with so they shouldn't be too expensive.

Check around with pottery supply stores for parts and seee what's available for parts. There is also the internet and a ton of places to buy stuff.

What can be done with a little work, the old
and the restored

Ron

Amaco also has a website.

http://amaco.com/jsps/amacohome.jsp
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Wow!!!!! Ron it's hard to believe that is the same Old kiln ..........the before one compared to the after TLC one is incredible! so clean. Great to see what you've done to it!