MK-100 vs. MK-101 vs. MK-101 Pro

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Re: another tile saw question

Post by Tony Smith »

That's one serious saw Paul. I think they use those for cutting Marble and Granite wall panels. I agree that having a travelling saw is appealing. Other than space, I'm not sure what the downside would be.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Charlotte Miller

Post by Charlotte Miller »

Well, I did it! After researching tile saws for months, I finally ordered an MK 101pro from Construction Complete for $774.97. I should get it next week. Can hardly wait. I have a question, though. It comes with a blade for cutting porcelain. Can I use that for now, or do I need to get a blade specifically for glass?

Thanks,
Charlotte
Brock

Post by Brock »

The blade it comes with will work fine. Other blades available here:

http://www.hisglassworks.com/pages/result.html

Brock
Charlotte Miller

Post by Charlotte Miller »

Thanks Brock! Good to know I don't have to spend another $60 right away.

Charlotte
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

With all the tile saw talk, I took a little look on Ebay just to see what they had. This was the result of just 2 pages of looking and mostly only one saw from each manufacturer. Just think how many tile saws there must be in the world. Probably about as many saws as pieces of tile.

Amazes me that tile setters can't do the job today without a wet saw, when a tile cutter used to work just fine. I suppose just like a carpenter that can't do the job without a nail gun. All an effort to finish the job faster and go drink more beer I guess.

My only conclusion, the world needs another tile saw.

Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Tony Smith wrote:That's one serious saw Paul. I think they use those for cutting Marble and Granite wall panels. I agree that having a travelling saw is appealing. Other than space, I'm not sure what the downside would be.

Tony
http://constructioncomplete.com/Tile-Sa ... 83200.html

Only $320. Seems too good to be true.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Tony Smith wrote:That's one serious saw Paul. I think they use those for cutting Marble and Granite wall panels. I agree that having a travelling saw is appealing. Other than space, I'm not sure what the downside would be.

Tony
http://constructioncomplete.com/Tile-Sa ... 83200.html

Only $320. Seems too good to be true.
I think you would have better control over cutting by moving the glass rather than the saw. I think you'll find the standard tile saw arrangement will give you more feedback as you saw and a better feel for what is going on as the blade cuts. I sure would want to try one first.

Ron