Youghiogheny or Chicago Art Glass in the kiln?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SheilaSu

Youghiogheny or Chicago Art Glass in the kiln?

Post by SheilaSu »

Has anyone here played with Yough. stipple glass or CAG in the kiln? I know mottled glass loses its mottling, but I'm wondering about stipple glass and opaque CAG.

How does the color and character of the glass stand up to slumping? How about fusing (to itself, of course)?
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I tried Yough in the kiln and ended up with something really ugly. The color changed from one of their amazing colors to something ugly and muddy looking.

There's more about this in the archives, but basically the beautiful glasses made for stained glass may not even be compatible with themselves.

Geri
ruthelf1030

Post by ruthelf1030 »

I am not a pro at much of anything in glass, but I have done this both successfully and unsuccessfully.
I know a lady who makes her entire living off of slumping/draping with spectrum wispy-s (not tested compatible -same sheet) only over stainless steel molds. Her stuff is nice.
She won't give me tips except she uses a cermic kiln and slumps at 1175 F.
She does shows and can afford 250.00 entry fees - I cannot.
I have had some success as I said, but the detrification problems with the opaques and semi-opaques led me to quit.
I tried some wonderfully agate looking types of glass and found not only detrification problems, but also, the white opaque in the pattern "rose" into the glass and the agate pattern sank and I lost what I wanted. Maybe my slump temp was too high - don't know.
I would guard that Chicago Art glass if it were mine - it is rumored they don't make it any more and it is still a favorite glass of mine - up to you.
Wish you luck - the tested compatibles are pricy but worth it.
Good luck, e-mail me if you wish. Could say more but space.
Regards,
ruthelf1030@meltel.net
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Don't know anything about CAG, but I did try slumping some old Youg and Wissmach and didn't like the results at all. The Wissmach devitrified something terrible at slumping temperatures.

However, I do fuse regular Specturm glass frequently. I love the Baroques and fuse them to Spectrum fusible clear. I always put Super Spray on them because they will devit at fusing temps if the Baroque is on top.

Judy
SheilaSu

Post by SheilaSu »

Thanks for the info! Not what I really wanted to hear, but at least I didn't have to ruin anything from my precious horde by testing. :wink:

Chicago Art Glass has been back in production for a couple of years, unless they have closed again. You can buy their glass and tiles at Art Glass Plus.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I once slumped some yough and it came apart. The glass was not stuck to itself.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

I was at the Youghiogheny Art Glass retail store on Saturday (great place!) on my way to Pittsburgh for a play. I asked about their glass in the kiln, and was handed a hand-written paper that they're handing out w/ details. Here it is:
HS or RG Glass - slumping @ 1100 to 1150 degrees.
Stipple - being done but with different results - crystals grow bigger.
Oceana - melted @ 2450, worked @ 2150, annealing point 925, slumping 1200.
COE - 96.
-heat and reheating will change temp
-color may change if fusing
-if stipple, crystal will change
-density will change.
Hope this helps.
Kay McConnell